Cachekinz Longevity

Andronicus

I just bought a couple of Cachekinz for my kids. Based on Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic, I would think that the lifespan of these in the wild would be fairly low. I am a bit hesitant to let my kids reliese these. Now that they have been out for a bit, what are people finding for the life expectancy of Cachekinz?

You have to assume it will go missing at some point. If it lasted only a year would you be okay with that? Are you willing to have it lost within a month? Can you replace it?

If no then you shouldn't put it out in the wild.

Cute bugs are not the best travelers. Ugly bugs live longer.

I recently bought a travel Pirate trackable, just a little skull&crossbones and was wondering if this would last long too. I've attached a little lego man (all super glued together and my id written on his head) a laminated "passport" and a tinyurl to link to the tracking page. I'm hoping that it's small enough for someone to pick up, but the tag and instructions are clear enough and robust enough to last.

I'm v new to this geocaching, but am intrigued to see what can happen with the little fella.

The first thing to remember is never release anything you aren't willing to lose. Some people have no problem releasing coins that won't be replaced when lost. Others aren't so willing to part with a unique item.

You need to do everything you can to give your traveler every chance to stay in circulation. Start by reading the Longevity Clinic at the top of the forum.

Thanks BlueDeuce, I read the longevity clinic thread and it was v helpful. the legoman is just a little trinket really, just thought having a personality aspect would be a bit more fun. There's some great info on the forums and i've learned loads since my first find. hoping to find a suitable starting cache quite soon for the legoman, I hope Andronicus has luck with the cachekinz (they're really cute). I might try a plain old TB for my second traveller and see what happens.

Edited by Theonly1iknow

Get yourself the old boring dogtag. Even if you lose both copies you can make a homemade tag and keep on caching.

I love that idea!!!

I ordered a couple puppy cachekinz, and being a total newbie, I thought they were for my dog's collars. So... that is where they are, and now people can 'discover' my dogs while we are out caching...

Andronicus... maybe you can attach them on your kids backpacks or something... That'd be good too, if they ever got lost in the woods, you could log on and track them! :)

Edited by Airblazer

Get yourself the old boring dogtag. Even if you lose both copies you can make a homemade tag and keep on caching.

I love that idea!!!

I ordered a couple puppy cachekinz, and being a total newbie, I thought they were for my dog's collars. So... that is where they are, and now people can 'discover' my dogs while we are out caching...

Andronicus... maybe you can attach them on your kids backpacks or something... That'd be good too, if they ever got lost in the woods, you could log on and track them! :)

I put them on lanyards that the kids wear when we are out geocaching. I have the CacheKinz in my inventory, and I dip them in each cache that they find with me.