Garmin eTrex Legend H

SiL3nT

After looking through the FAQ and 10 pages on the forums i was unable to find an answer to my question, i am hoping that someone who owns one of these GPS units would be able to answer this question for me.

I've been researching GPS units in my price range since getting addicted to geocaching and the Garmin eTrex Legend H is what i have been looking at for the reasonable price range, i noticed that the specifications on this particular unit says it does not include an electronic compass. Now i don't want to be wandering around aimlessly in the woods i would like to find the geocache that i am looking for.

And now for the million dollar question. When you have your geocache coordinates input into your GPS unit does the unit itself give you any type of directional bearing or mini-compass while following your path? Or do you simply follow the line on path it has plotted for you. I like to know where i am going in the woods when i am out and about and a directional bearing would be ideal to following a map.

The GPS will display an arrow to follow, however with an electronic compass the unit will only know which direction it is travelling in and not which direction it is pointing in. So, the arrow is only going to give a good direction when you are moving.

Units with an electronic compass can also give a good direction whist you are stood still.

My first 2 GPSr's did not have electronic compasses and I found 100's of caches.

The GPS will display an arrow to follow, however with an electronic compass the unit will only know which direction it is travelling in and not which direction it is pointing in. So, the arrow is only going to give a good direction when you are moving.

Units with an electronic compass can also give a good direction whist you are stood still.

My first 2 GPSr's did not have electronic compasses and I found 100's of caches.

So there is no navigation page/compass or mini-compass at all for directional bearing on the eTrex Legend H? you just have to follow the map? Seems strange that the previous cheaper models of the eTrex Legend would have a navigation page for directional bearing and the updated more expensive model wouldn't.

Does anyone here have this particular model that could shed some light on my dilemma?

No it does have those pages, just the data is meaningless if you are stood still. You'll need to be moving to allow the unit to detect direction.

Ah i see now, forgive the questions. I've been researching GPS units and they do document a lot of specifications but they are lacking in some areas such as this. So i can punch in or download my coordinates set a way point and switch to the navigation page and follow the navigational arrow so long as i am moving?

No it does have those pages, just the data is meaningless if you are stood still. You'll need to be moving to allow the unit to detect direction.

Ah i see now, forgive the questions. I've been researching GPS units and they do document a lot of specifications but they are lacking in some areas such as this. So i can punch in or download my coordinates set a way point and switch to the navigation page and follow the navigational arrow so long as i am moving?

If I were making the purchase, I think I would buy the Venture HC rather than the Legend H. They have very similar functionality, the Venture HC is a little nicer unit and the cost is not that much more.

In either case, if you buy one, go to the Garmin site and download the users manual for the Legend c, a discontinued unit. The functionality is the same - but the old users manual is much more complete.

If I were making the purchase, I think I would buy the Venture HC rather than the Legend H. They have very similar functionality, the Venture HC is a little nicer unit and the cost is not that much more.

In either case, if you buy one, go to the Garmin site and download the users manual for the Legend c, a discontinued unit. The functionality is the same - but the old users manual is much more complete.

Price is the only problem. Found a really good deal on the Legend H and the woman is throwing in half that's why i am buying it, also it will work for what i need it to do. Thank you for the input.

Price is the only problem. Found a really good deal on the Legend H and the woman is throwing in half that's why i am buying it, also it will work for what i need it to do. Thank you for the input.

My assessment on price did not include that consideration. Go for it! But, the suggestion regarding the user manual for the legend c still applies. You'll get more enjoyment from the unit if you can use all of its features and that would be easier to figure out from the older manual.

Correct