The oldest disk I've seen so far

89SC

I'm way behind this year and just now logging my first find. I'm not the first to log this one but it's an interesting find. It's MA1233 a brass disk set in 1899:

555dca3a-5d19-445e-b87b-dc7319cd189d.jpg

Also interesting is the fact that the railroad bridge was already abandoned in 1941 when the NGS last recovered it and the collection of other types of marks around it:

4c744ec1-1179-4d68-be6f-a48e2ee17ea4.jpg

There's a rivet inside a chiseled square and another chiseled square above or would you call it a diamond?

Edited by 89SC

Awesome! - A USGS disk set in 1899 with two chiseled squares and a rivet on the same stone?

WoW. - Seeing that the USGS was established in 1879, this is truly an early find.

Looking closer, it appears that "Pennsylvania" is not stamped, but cast into the disk makes this an even more unusual find.

I've seen this style of mark, but only cast in aluminum, not brass. Add this one to the disk logo list!

Makes you wonder what the story is behind this...

~ Mitch ~

While doing a great puzzle cache in Forest Park in Portland OR I found WILLAMET (RD3664). The BM and 2 reference marks are stamped 1881. The puzzle was put out by a cacher named Danman and he took pictures of the marks on 4/2/2004. I've never seen one older than that.

WILLAMET was established in 1881, but the disk you see is from 1938.

When it come to OLD, PapaBear is KING.... (it's good to be the King, right?) :surprise: