Cheap GPS phone

Eliotta

I'm rather new to geocaching, but don't own a GPS. I don't have a car so I don't need a normal GPS and I don't want to buy the expensive ones recommended here because I'm a student.

But I could need a new mobile phone, and now I'm looking for phones with GPS. But none of the phones I look at is mentioned as recommended for the geocaching softwares :surprise:

My question is: Do anyone use any of the phones

Nokia 3710 Fold

Nokia 5230

Sony Ericsson Elm

They are affordable to me and have GPS all of them, but I don't know if they work with the software.

As much as I like my Samsung Blackjack II the GPS in it has been virtually worthless - takes 5-15 minutes to get a satellite lock, won't track properly at walking speeds, drains the battery insanely fast (you can watch the battery meter drain with the GPS enabled), etc. I think the newer generation of phones function a bit better.

Nokia 3710 Fold

Nokia 5230

Sony Ericsson Elm

Same as me dude! Am currently surfing the net because i'm really tempted by the SE Elm and know it has GPS can't seem to find anything solid that suggests it can be used for geocaching!

Nokia 3710 Fold

Nokia 5230

Sony Ericsson Elm

Same as me dude! Am currently surfing the net because i'm really tempted by the SE Elm and know it has GPS can't seem to find anything solid that suggests it can be used for geocaching!

I am also looking at the Elm phone :)

Want to know more about battery life when GPS is on, and how it works with Geocaching Live ( http://live.geocaching.com/ )

Also, the 5mp camera with geotagging feature is pretty tempting I have to say. And I have read that the phone has Google Maps preinstalled!

Edited by koskos

Nokia 3710 Fold

Nokia 5230

Sony Ericsson Elm

Want to know more about battery life when GPS is on, and how it works with Geocaching Live ( http://live.geocaching.com/ )

Also, the 5mp camera with geotagging feature is pretty tempting I have to say. And I have read that the phone has Google Maps preinstalled!

Battery life isn't that great when the GPS is on BUT I am not one to spend more than half a day caching.

Yes google maps is installed, is this an advantage? Its currently £100 on )2 website, bargin?

Nokia 3710 Fold

Nokia 5230

Sony Ericsson Elm

Battery life isn't that great when the GPS is on BUT I am not one to spend more than half a day caching.

Yes google maps is installed, is this an advantage? Its currently £100 on )2 website, bargin?

I see it as a nice advantage not having to be online to access the maps => spare battery and money.

How long does a full battery lasts when you have GPS enabled all time?