what gps to buy

twodoxies2

I am new to this also. I have been using Blackstar on my Blackberry for the first 5 finds. I tried to go out last Sunday and it would not connect to a satellite. Despite considerable effort on my part, I couldn't get it to work. I decided a "real" GPSr was a good idea. I looked over this forum and the many threads and recommendations. There are plenty of good opinions here and good information. I settled on the Garmin Dakota 20. Many cachers like it and use it. The Oregon series are also nice but pricier. They have better screen resolution but many find the Dakota 20 easier to read in sunlight. It has most of the same features the Oregons have. The Oregon 550 has a camera but I didn't feel I needed that. The BB has one and my wife usually carries a better one anyway. I wanted to get something beyond entry level (my Blackberry was that...) that I would not outgrow quickly while not spending a small fortune. The Dakota was $315 all said and done, which I felt was a decent price and provided some decent bang for the buck. YMMV and happy caching!

I am new to this also. I have been using Blackstar on my Blackberry for the first 5 finds. I tried to go out last Sunday and it would not connect to a satellite. Despite considerable effort on my part, I couldn't get it to work. I decided a "real" GPSr was a good idea. I looked over this forum and the many threads and recommendations. There are plenty of good opinions here and good information. I settled on the Garmin Dakota 20. Many cachers like it and use it. The Oregon series are also nice but pricier. They have better screen resolution but many find the Dakota 20 easier to read in sunlight. It has most of the same features the Oregons have. The Oregon 550 has a camera but I didn't feel I needed that. The BB has one and my wife usually carries a better one anyway. I wanted to get something beyond entry level (my Blackberry was that...) that I would not outgrow quickly while not spending a small fortune. The Dakota was $315 all said and done, which I felt was a decent price and provided some decent bang for the buck. YMMV and happy caching!

ETA: Here's a good place to start: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230083

On Garmin's web site you can compare the features of many of their GPSr.

This depends a lot on your environment.

I currently use a Delorme PN-40, which works pretty well with certain reservations more appropriate to a different thread...

It's bright orange color is a great asset (for when some thorn plant steals it) in rural Ohio.

If I lived in, let's say Chicago, I'd want an Iphone to blend in, and a totally different set of gear. My current daypack would have to be traded out for something that would blend into an urban environment.

There's a lot that goes into caching, but the first principle is stealth...and blending into your environment requires you to study it in the first place.

Hope you find something that works for you! Post it when you do!