Witness Cloth?

PL8S4JON

This is my first post and I am new to benchmark hunting. I am also not sure how to post a picture so may need some help with that. Anyhow, in doing some research, I came accross an 8" by 7" cloth that says:

United States

Coast And Geodetic Survey

This signal is the property of the United States. All persons visiting it are repectfully requested and warned not to interfere with it or disturb its adjustment.

R.S. PATTON,

Director

At the bottom of this cloth is "Form 51" "U.S. Government Printing office: 1934

Is has some rust stains on it like it has been stapled to a tree or board. It is very thin and fragile. I am wondering if this is similar to a witness post sign? Perhaps a temporary one while they were surveying. Any ideas? I can send photos if you would like.

In addition, I found an unused "Report on Condition of Bench Mark" card and original mailing envelope. Its dated 1935 as well. I guess that was the way the reported recovery way back then. Neat items. I just nead help with the witness cloth and its use.

Thanks,

-Jon

pl8s4jon@hotmail.com

In making nautical charts (pre GPS and other electronics) the guys out in the sounding boat needed to know where they were. They could do this by measuring the angles between three known points. That is one of the reasons why there are so many church steeples, water tanks and other landmarks in the database.

In areas where there were no landmarks they needed to make something to use instead.

See link for photos.

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/c&gs/navhy1.html

My guess is that they fastened the cloth sign to the signal to discourage vandalism.