new hunter, what to do when you know one is not there?

martlet1

Hi all,

Hi! I am new to this and I have a benchmark about 20 feet from my office desk. Our building was remodeled in the 1970's and the benchmark that was on the steps is no longer there. But there is one monumented outside. It is probably the same one, but the site lists it as two seperate ones.

I linked them below. Is there some way to fix this on the site?

web page

web page

There may or may not be anything to fix, depending upon what exactly has transpired since 1961. The original disk, which would have been stamped 1932, was probably destroyed by improvements to the steps during the 40s or 50s. The second disk was apparently set in 1959, but was already displaced when visited in 1961, and was reused at that time. Each point is entirely separate, even though they have the same name. The reset designation is intended to indicate that the original is gone or undiscoverable and the new point is intended to replace it. This is standard practice in cases where the spot is especially useful and resetting is merited. Reset points are hardly ever in exactly the same place, as in this case, where the new point is 0.6 feet, which is about 7 inches, lower than the old one according to the data sheets, which may seem insignificant, but is actually highly important. It is possible that the current disk may not now be at the elevation given on the datasheet, if the steps have been rebuilt again since 1961 and the same disk was improperly replaced in the new steps at that time, but this is unlikely, and even if it were the case, all local professionals using the current disk are probably already aware of its history and have compensated accordingly in their work.

Marks in building are sometimes a challenge. I can recall 2 BM's we recovered. One was in the side (set vetically) of an old brick bldg. When we followed the decription to the location you could see the bldg was now covered with a wood and metal siding. As I walked over to the location, I notices a hole in the siding. I looked and there was the disk about 4 inches in. Another one, the guys were doing recon and could not find a BM that was in all old schoolshouse (from 1934) out in the country. They said the bldg was there but no disk. So we went to look at it again one day and this lady pulls up in the driveway (was now a home) and asked what we wanted. I showed her the data sheet and she says, there's something like that inside my house? Sure enough, they had added on to the old school many years ago before she owned the house and inside garage was the disk, still set in the wall. The addition looked original. She always woundered what that was for. We were able to level to it.