Custom Map Name appearing twice in Map Menu why?

eaparks

Recently I just started getting a problem loading my own Custom Maps onto my Oregon 400t software v3.60. This problem just occured after making several changes to the individual map tiles and to the typ file. The problem is that I am getting the exact same map name appearing twice in the Map menu in my Oregon 400t. Maps are appearing correctly in Mapsource v6.13.7. Am using: typ file (both GenTyp v.93 and ati.land's on-line typ editor); MapSetToolKit v1.75; and MapEdit.

When I disable or enable 1 of the duplicated Map names it doesn't seem to do anything on the GPS; the other duplicated map names controls the display of the map correctly. The map including all custom lines and images are appearing correctly. The duplicated name doesn't appear to affect any function of the map on the GPS other than it is just annoying having the same Map name in the list twice.

The Map Set contains 7 map tiles (each an individual custom trail map) all using the same FID / typ file. The map is on the memory card and when removed the duplicated map names no longer appear. The map .img name/file is only listed once in the Garmin folder on the memory card when viewed on the PC; and also is listed only once when viewed in DOS, and it is not in the GPS's internal memory so it's not been loaded to 2 seperate drives.

I have been using this same Map Set with the 7 map tiles without any duplicated names until I made several changes recently but at the same time I started using the latest version of MapSetToolKit and the tried the ati.land on-line typ editor.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Thanks for any suggestions.

I double checked to be sure none of the tiles are over lapping and they aren't. The 7 tiles are scattered from VA to UT. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

All maps have the same number of levels, all set to the exact same bit depths, and same transparency settings? Edited by coggins

No, one of the map tiles has 5 levels and the other 6 all have 4 levels; but they have been this way for over a year and all worked together before, so I didn't think that would be an issue. Am I wrong?

edit: I have tried compiling the Map Set leaving out some and/or all but 1 of the map tiles. When I would have only 1 map tile I would get only 1 Map Set name in the Map menu. Leaving out the map tile with the 5 levels didn't afftect the outcome. It seems if I compile more than 1 map tile in the Map Set it duplicates the Map name.

Edited by eaparks

Try this, select all the 4 level maps (and not the 5 level map) and send them to your GPS and see if you still get the map name twice. That should answer that.

No, one of the map tiles has 5 levels and the other 6 all have 4 levels; but they have been this way for over a year and all worked together before, so I didn't think that would be an issue. Am I wrong?

edit: I have tried compiling the Map Set leaving out some and/or all but 1 of the map tiles. When I would have only 1 map tile I would get only 1 Map Set name in the Map menu. Leaving out the map tile with the 5 levels didn't afftect the outcome. It seems if I compile more than 1 map tile in the Map Set it duplicates the Map name.

edit: Then maybe the transparency settings... Edited by coggins

The only time I got that error was when I compiled some maps as non-transparent, and others as transparent. These were compiled with mkgmap. When I made them all non-transparent the problem went away. My map bounds were separated by at least 1/4 degree.

The only time I got that error was when I compiled some maps as non-transparent, and others as transparent. These were compiled with mkgmap. When I made them all non-transparent the problem went away. My map bounds were separated by at least 1/4 degree.

I use the transparent setting (Y) in MapEdit for all of my Map tiles in the Map Set. I did click on transparency in MapSetToolKit once but usually leave it at the default. I always leave the draw priority order at default also, but will experiment with these.

The 5 level tile mixed in with the other 4 level tiles had no affect as I had mentioned it the edited part of my above post.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'm still open to more suggestions. I plan to recompile all 7 map tiles in MapEdit paying close attention to draw orders and transparency settings.

It does appear that an error message may be appearing in the black background screen when MapSetToolKit finishes, but it disappears so quick I can't read it. When I use check registry in MapSetToolKit it doesn't show any errors with any of the maps in question. It does say a product code is duplicated but that product code is "9" and is used in Garmin's US Topo v3. Not showing where it is being used in another location. All my custom maps product codes are "1".

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Problem solved. Coggins your first things to check nailed it.

Went back and recompiled all 7 maps / tiles checking everything closely: all were "Y" tranparent, went ahead and changed the 1 with 5 Levels to 4 Levels, I always have everything in my maps to display at all levels except the last one, did not change draw priority order in any of them, BUT, 2 of the maps were compiled in European single-byte and 5 of them were in American 7 bit. Changed the 2 to American 7 bit and no longer had the duplicated Map Set name.

Edited by eaparks