Best North American GPS?

GOBLUEGIRL

I'd like to hear opinions on the best GPS for Canada & the US.

I travel back and forth from Ontario to Michigan, so I'm looking for a Garmin that has the best preloaded maps, and accuracy, along with paperless geocaching. I need something easy to use with the same type of features as the Geocache Navigator program.

I've been looking at the Garmin Dakota 20, and Oregon 400t, but I'd like to hear some feedback on these and any other models.

The GPS also has to be Mac compatible.

Thanks!

Edited by GOBLUEGIRL

There really isn't much different between the Dakota series and the Oregon series other than the size and brightness of the screen - the dakota is smaller.

As far as maps - there are lots of free maps for the Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com - so the preloaded terrain maps are not all that valuable. As far as street routing - neither unit comes with preloaded street maps. There are some free ones but Garmin's City Nav maps are far superior.

These days - about the best option is to have a load end Nuvi in the car for street navigation and a smaller handheld for Geocaching. I like the Oregon units for ease of use and a well designed touch screen interface.

You might look into the Lowrance Endura series - the higher end units have nice mapping capabilities and the best Geocaching feature available. Kind of expensive one you add mapping - but a solid unit (after a few updates).

There really isn't much different between the Dakota series and the Oregon series other than the size and brightness of the screen - the dakota is smaller.

As far as maps - there are lots of free maps for the Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com - so the preloaded terrain maps are not all that valuable. As far as street routing - neither unit comes with preloaded street maps. There are some free ones but Garmin's City Nav maps are far superior.

These days - about the best option is to have a load end Nuvi in the car for street navigation and a smaller handheld for Geocaching. I like the Oregon units for ease of use and a well designed touch screen interface.

You might look into the Lowrance Endura series - the higher end units have nice mapping capabilities and the best Geocaching feature available. Kind of expensive one you add mapping - but a solid unit (after a few updates).

Thank you StarBrand! :unsure: