Samsung Omnia problems

bswanderer

I purchased a samsung omnia, and of course I just HAVE to be able to geocache with it now :ph34r:

It uses windows mobile 6.1

I loaded cachemate, and it goes to "waiting for gps fix..." and will stay there until I exit the program.

I also loaded gczII, and get a com port error.

So basicly, I can't use either..

please, if someone is familiar with the Omnia and geocaching, let me know what I am doing wrong.

I've read on forums that I need to select enhanced gps features on the phone, but the only option i can find is under logo>settings>phone>services>gps and than either "location on" or "911 only"

so how do i geocache on this Omnia phone????

I don't know if your issue is Omnia specific or not. I'd start by making sure your GPS is working properly.

Your location should be set to "Location On", not 911 only.

Start Google Maps and see if you can pinpoint your location. Map sure you are getting an accurate location fix there. Insure it is accurate . . . sometimes Google Maps will get an approximate fix using cell towers. That's not what you are looking for.

Is your carrier Verizon? I seem to recall that when the Omnia was first released by Verizon, the GPS was locked down to VZ Navigator only. Verizon released an update to the phone (MR1 - you can find it on their website) that unlocks the GPS. The bottom line is that if you have a Verizon Omnia that hasn't been flashed to the current maintenance release, no third party apps will work with the GPS, which could be causing your problem. If you are on Sprint or another carrier, disregard this paragraph.

I have an Omnia and use it successfully. I got the Omnia this last summer and the GPS is unlocked. I have ROM V S:i910 10 V CF03 20961.

I use BasicGPS from a link found on Geocache.com. It works.

Make sure you turn on the GPS using "location on" and not just 911 use.

Edited by Tax_Man

Understanding how windows mobile runs the gps can be confusing. If you are using the windows intermidiary driver, set it to com 4 (or another available com port). Then you can try setting GczII to com 4. If that works, then you are set. If your phone's GPS is locked, it may only be the intermidiary driver, and the actual com port may be open.

Alternatly you could try using a blue tooth GPS (they are cheeeeeep). If you have trouble getting that to work, see my profile for instructions on hacking your registrys.