Nightcaches

Hey @ all

at first I´ve to excuse my bad English!!! :)

We have an idea and want to share it with you, because a lot of friends, that we told it, like it very much.

Our idea:

a own symbol for nightcaches :D .

That would be very helpful, if somebody is looking for such a cache, because in the moment you have to check all multis in the area. A own symbol, looking a moon for example would be a great advance.

We would be glad to know what other people are thinking about this idea and what if it´s possible.

Night caches are one of many genres of cache that cachers willl sometimes find one of and then want an easy way to find others. In additions to night caches, there are cemetery caches, history caches, cooperative caches (muti caches or puzzles where you get coordinates from someone in another state or country), various challenge caches, tree caches, tunnel caches, sudoku caches, monkey puzzle caches, etc. The list is really endless.

If night caches were to be their own cache type, then which genre would be next? We would soon see the the same kind of icon-itist that we have for geocoins with geocache types. There is no need, however, for this to happen. The way to identify night caches, or any other genre of caches, is for a few premium members to create public bookmark lists of these caches. A link to this list will appear on the pages of every cache in the list. So once you have found one night cache, you will see a list of other night caches. Cachers who find a night cache which isn't on the list can let the list owner know and the cache can be added. There is still an issue when travelling. Unless you find a night cache in the area you might not know there is a list of night caches for that area. Groundspeak could make public bookmark list searchable so you find what lists are available without first having to find a cache on the list.

The distinction between these and other hunts is certainly great enough to warrant its own icon.

How is that? I assume we are talking about night caches that use reflective tacks or similar object to guide the cache seeker along the path to the cache. What makes these night caches different from any other cache that uses a method other than a GPS to get you to the cache site? In fact I would argue that many night caches are not even geocaches and they don't even provide an option to use the GPS as an integral part of the search. (I know every time I say this I will get a few night cache owners who will point out that their night cache requires a GPS at least to get you to the right start of trail.)

I would love to see a shiny new icon just for night caches.

The distinction between these and other hunts is certainly great enough to warrant its own icon.

But this has been brought up before and TPTB haven't jumped on board.

I don't agree. There are few Caches, which can also be done by light.

And, apart of that, you will need more than one icon:

- Nightcache Traditional

- Nightcache Multi

- Nightcache Mystery

If not, you reciewe a new information but lose another more important (in my oppinion)

I'm fine with the attribute "recomended at night", perhaps we can add an new attribute "only poosible at night".

The only icon I'm missing is the combination of "Multi" and "Mystery". We have some of these Caches in Germany, where you first had to solve a puzzle and than run several stages.

bene66