Oregon 550

Jester1970

I've found I'm having trouble with my Oregon 550. Fitting either the supplied rechargeables, or standard alkaline batteries (Energiser/Duracell) gives an erratic performance and a very short life. I find that within about twenty minutes the unit has frozen up and stopped recording or has shut down completely. If it has frozen I have to remove the batteries to reset it, as the power button will not respond.

Lithium batteries when fitted from new show 3/4 full, dropping soon to 1/2 full, however it does not cut out while in use.

Has anyone had similar issues?

I contacted Garmin about a month back through their website, and since then I've had NO RESPONSE :lol:

Anyone know how to get an answer from these people?

jester2005 - sounds like you've got a dickie unit that you may have to send back and have replaced. I get several hours (sorry I've not measured but easily lasts over 6, my longest trip with it so far) on the supplied batteries or Energizer rechargables (2000 mAh), and that's with the light on max with 30 second auto off and taking the occasional pic. I also get no freeze ups

Like you I also used the Gramin website last week to ask a question about the version 3.00 software upgrade (navigation line not showing when using transparent maps like OSM) and got no response - not even a 'thanks we are looking into it' - nice gps unit but crap service I'm afraid.

Garmin's e-mail support is consistently pretty awful; their phone support is light years better. You'll probably be put on hold for a while, but the support I've eventually gotten in the past has been pretty good. From the Garmin Web site:

North America - Consumer Products

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 913-397-8200

US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020

Canada: 1-866-429-9296

--Larry

ETA: Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the OP is in Scotland:

United Kingdom

For all of United Kingdom users and customers in unlisted countries in Europe, Africa and Middle East

Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 17:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)

Phone: 00 44 808 238 0000

Edited by larryc43230

I've never had that problem with my 550t. I had the same problem with my old Colorado 400t and Garmin replaced it for me. I use Eneloop batteries and they hold up real well. If you're using lithiums, make sure you are using the correct battery profile. You will find that a telephone call to Garmin's support team is far superior to email.