Basecamp, MapSource, and Win7

seldom_sn

Running Basecamp 2.0.9. Win7 64bit. 8gRAM. Dell XPS Studio with McAfee Total Protection.

This crashes on a zoom every hour or so.

Running MapSource 6.15.7. Same system. This crashes every few minutes.

Anybody else with this problem?

I understand that the last good MapSource (6.13.7) is reasonably stable. Anybody know if it's possible to downgrade from 6.15.7 to 6.13.7 without losing my CNNANT registration?

I gave up on my Basecrap (I mean Basecamp) and uninstalled it and my Topo Canada V4, big waste of money!

And reverted my Mapsource back to 6.13.7 from 6.15.7 and all is well.I dont know what convinced me to buy that P.O.S. Nothing from Garmin seems to be very good these days,and I hate being part of a software experiment!........I also have enough problems with Win XP ,so I wont be trying out Win 7 any time soon either. :lol:

Edited by Forkeye

I gave up on my Basecrap (I mean Basecamp) and uninstalled it and my Topo Canada V4, big waste of money!

And reverted my Mapsource back to 6.13.7 from 6.15.7 and all is well.I dont know what convinced me to buy that P.O.S. Nothing from Garmin seems to be very good these days,and I hate being part of a software experiment!........I also have enough problems with Win XP ,so I wont be trying out Win 7 any time soon either. :lol:

As I mention above, Basecamp is better behaved than MS 6.15.7 in Win7. Also, I think stability has improved in 2.0.9, although it still crashes occasionally.

Sorry for my rant ,I am just a bit dissapointed in Garmins products lately,I bought Topo Canada V4 for the DEM,but after loading it I discovered that quite a few of the lakes around where I hike look like trapazoids or other odd sharp cornered geometric shapes that a grade 3 student drew ,and not at all what a lake looks like.Not at all like my V2 or Ibycus(which is FREE).Good luck on sorting it out.

According to the BirdsEye Satellite Imagery promo on the Garmin Web site, the new product will require BaseCamp 3.0.0:

Minimum Requirements

You must have Garmin's free software BaseCamp™ (version 3.0.0 or later) installed on your computer before you can use this subscription. You also need a myGarmin account. If you do not have one, we will require you to create one during the purchase process.

The product is expected to be available by March. I'm hoping the new version of BaseCamp will resolve some of the issues I've been reading about. Miracles can happen! :lol:

--Larry

It's too bad that Microsoft doesn't have an app that would allow you to run the Mac OS. Or do they? Everything runs hunky-dory on my Mac. Just sayin' ... and not knocking Microsoft in any way. :(

on topic: on my machine (win7 x64, 3gig ram) Mapsource 6.15.7 runs very smooth without any sort of crashes. Didn't try Basecamp yet.

off topic: Microsoft doesn't need any app to enable you to run Mac OS, that sort of app already exists. But you are not allowed to use it since Mac OS's license states that you are only allowed to run Mac OS on Apple hardware.

on topic: on my machine (win7 x64, 3gig ram) Mapsource 6.15.7 runs very smooth without any sort of crashes. Didn't try Basecamp yet.

Odd, I've got an 8 gig machine, i7Core processor. I'm using several large homemade topo products, one transparent one not, compiled with cgpsmapper and mkgmap. Basecamp usually crashes with a zoom out. MapSource crashes on a pan.

Odd, I've got an 8 gig machine, i7Core processor. I'm using several large homemade topo products, one transparent one not, compiled with cgpsmapper and mkgmap. Basecamp usually crashes with a zoom out. MapSource crashes on a pan.

It doesn't matter how much memory you have (well, as long as it's over 2GB). MapSource is not doing proper memory management under 64-bit Windows 7. As 32-bit application MapSource can see maximum of 2GB of memory.

Zooming and panning will result in out-of-memory crash sooner or later. It depends on map(s) used how soon or late is going to happen, but it's going to happen. You can use Windows task manager (enable Working Set (Memory) column) to track how MapSource leaks memory with every zoom and pan. There is long going thread on Garmin's forum about it (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=3059). They said they are going to "investigate" the problem without acknowledgment or commitment to fix it.