proxy alternative

LionsLair

I've been tossing an idea around in my head and although I'm not a wordsmith, I'm going to try and get it out for opinions/objections and general thought...

What would everyone think to a vendor offering a proxy of a coin design with the coin purchase?

Maybe an alluminum travel tag with the same tracking # ...

Pros

- a collector could safely add the coin to a collection without worry of stolen or lost coins

- it could curb lost/stolen coins as they would be less desirable to thieves

- it could boost the number of travers set free and quite possibly add to a travelers lifespan

- a well made proxy like an alluminum tag would also last longer and make it easier for those that dispise proxies to swallow the fact it's a proxy and not a coin.

- it would mean an extra dollar or two to the vendor that offers them with a coin order( not sure that's a pro to anyone but the vendor)

cons

- can't think of any at the moment

We've all recieved pins with our orders from time to time and I think a proxy would satisfy the want/need/desire we all have to release/keep/gift our coins..... just another perk...

:unsure::) opinions please.....

This is a good subject. There have been a lot of ideas and threads on this:

To proxy or not to proxy?

Proxy Bugs

Proxy coins

Proxies, who doe's this and is it ok?

Coin replicas in Cache

Coin tokens (precursor to pathtags idea)

Geoswag's Coin copy program

I believe Damenace has a thread on how to photocopy a coin then stick it to a washer and put it in a plastic holder. It's a better approach than a laminated copy.

And I quote myself from 4 years ago:

Who wants to go out and chase down a laminated card instead of a coin? I can see replacing a lost coin with a duplicate but launching a fake geocoin card is just plain silly. rolleyes.gif

Who is that snarky guy? :unsure:

Castleman used to sell aluminum tags similar to the geocoin buddies tags with a space so you could write in any tracking number. I have a couple of them and plan to launch them to replace some of my stolen coins or TBs

so the idea isn't new, but why doesn't anyone offer a decent proxy with a coin? It appears there is enough intest to create and offer proxies.

I'm planning on making proxies of some of my older coins just so some newbies can enjoy the icons on something they may never see out in the wild even if they cache for the next 20 years...

I've read many of the threads Mark pointed out. I am not old timer enough to remember the 'tools of the trade' copy coin though... but I can see where two alike coins wouldn't be feasable or deter thieves.

I guess I just want to put more travelers into the game. However there are some coins I'm not willing to part with, but would be willing to send a proxy out. I'm also looking for ways to outsmart the thieves as well. But I've heard if you make something fool proof, they just make dumber fools... I guess the same can be said for thieves....