PN-30 battery type

42at42

I go into the battery setting, change the battery type to alkaline push enter, but when I check it it has switched back to rechargeable. I noticed the batteries started leaking a little, so I check and it switched back to rechargeable and it was trying to charge my alkaline batteries.

NOT GOOD

I go into the battery setting, change the battery type to alkaline push enter, but when I check it it has switched back to rechargeable. I noticed the batteries started leaking a little, so I check and it switched back to rechargeable and it was trying to charge my alkaline batteries.

NOT GOOD

From the Wiki:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

2. How does the PN-40 know what kind of batteries I installed?

It can auto-sense alkaline and Li-Ion. You must manually set up for other types. Even when using alkaline or Li-Ion, you should verify the setting whenever you change battery types. Menu->Device Setup->System->Battery Type. In order to get maximum possible run time, the correct battery setting is very important.

So, it autodetects the Li-Ion rechargeable and Alkaline and should switch automatically for those two type only.

Consequently, the user should not have to select after changing to one of those from another.

I would call DeLorme Customer Service Monday, email is not recommemded.

NOT GOOD

From the Wiki:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

2. How does the PN-40 know what kind of batteries I installed?

It can auto-sense alkaline and Li-Ion. You must manually set up for other types. Even when using alkaline or Li-Ion, you should verify the setting whenever you change battery types. Menu->Device Setup->System->Battery Type. In order to get maximum possible run time, the correct battery setting is very important.

So, it autodetects the Li-Ion rechargeable and Alkaline and should switch automatically for those two type only.

Consequently, the user should not have to select after changing to one of those from another.

I would call DeLorme Customer Service Monday, email is not recommemded.

I will do that, because it is automatically going to the Li-Ion.

NOT GOOD

It sounds like you know the significance of this problem, but it's important enough that I'll state the obvious: get this resolved before using the device (or, at least before using alkalines in the device). Damage could result.

If you can run it off external power you should be able to play around with it...but you might need batteries in it to power up (I'm not sure). If so, remove them as soon as it's powered on.

Edit to add: Twolpert's post at the delorme users forum reminded me that I could say the above clearer--the danger comes from charging anything other than the proper Li-Ion batteries...and that requires external power. If you are not on external power, the batteries should work ok *but* they will be working off the wrong power curve and may power off too early or too late. Powering off too late can cause problems, too, though they are usually easier to recover from than the damage leaking batteries could cause.

Edited by embra