Cache unofficially moved - advice needed

kiwiowl

I re-visited a cache today with a fellow geocacher. I'd found this one before (3 months ago) but my companion hadn't. The chances of this one being muggled are almost zero due to location and amound of foliage. So, I was very surprised to not find the cache on this occasion.

Back home, after reading the logs, I found out that someone had logged that they had moved the cache due to its over grown nature. This was not the cache owner, did not have the owners permission, they just mentioned the new coordinates in the log.

I often don't read logs due to potential spoiler information. I often briefly scan to see more recent yellow faces (finds) than blue faces (did not find).

The original cache owner no longer appears to be active on this site as there has been no activity for them for around 18 months.

The cache is in a great area and it is right for one to be there, but what can be done about it now it's owner has gone AWOL and it is not in the place as registered?

One option is to post a Needs Maintenance log asking the CO to put it back where it belongs. If nothing is done in a reasonable time, post a Should Be Archived on the grounds that the CO is not maintaining it. If a reviewer agrees with you and archives it, you're free to remove the cache (it's geolitter after archival) and place your own where the original was. However, that's in extremis and hopefully the current CO will either put the cache back where it was or ratify the new coords.

Perhaps a less drastic option is to email the CO to ask their intentions and (if the CO is no longer interested) offer to adopt the cache.

HTH,

Geoff

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by Pajaholic

If the owner is absent and the cache is still alive, you could just move it back to where it was originally hidden. That way the cache will be at the posted coordinates. If someone downloads the cache info to their GPS, the posted coordinates will be the ones they use, not the ones in a previous log. As long as the cache is in good shape and doesn't need maintainance, it can still be found and logged even if the owner is MIA.

If not, do as Pajaholic suggested and post the NM and presuming the owner doesn't respond, then the NA.

If a reviewer agrees with you and archives it, you're free to remove the cache (it's geolitter after archival)

You might need to give it some time before removing the container. I agree in most cases it becomes geolitter after archival but I heard of a situation where someone removed a cache that was listed on another website (terra caching). Its unlikely but it could happen.

If a reviewer agrees with you and archives it, you're free to remove the cache (it's geolitter after archival)

You might need to give it some time before removing the container. I agree in most cases it becomes geolitter after archival but I heard of a situation where someone removed a cache that was listed on another website (terra caching). Its unlikely but it could happen.

Good point. That said, if it is marked with a geocaching.com ID but not with a terracaching ID etc. the likelihood is very low. Also, the SBA and Archived logs will have gone to the registered email address of the CO - so the old CO will have had notification. Additionally, I've seen "found it" logs for an archived cache made after it was archived (one of the caches in London's Royal Parks), so I suspect the OP could post a note saying the cache was removed and also email the old CO with an offer to return it.

It doesn't matter how long you wait if the cache is listed somewhere else. Since it's just one container, the same person must have physically placed it so it's very unlikely that it'll be owned by someone else on TC etc. and the series of emails that the cache logs would generate, together with an email or two sent direct to the old CO, should have given the old CO more than enough chance to respond to keep the cache in place.

Geoff

Thanks for the discussion. I think I'll keep my eye on this for a few of weeks and see what happens. I've already sent a message to the CO regarding the situation. If I get no reply from that then I'll perhaps do what has been suggested. Thanks again everyone for you help.