garmin etrex legend altimeter?

OK.... i've posted a few times in here already but at least i have narrowed down my search to the Garmin etrex Legend GPSr. I have searched and read up on it all day today. My problem is this... the garmin website shows that this unit does not have a barometric altimeter, but multiple other sources are saying that it does. Anyone around here use of of these that could tell me whether or not if the Garmin Etrex Legend has a barometric altimeter or not? Doesn't really matter all that much, its just bothering me that i've read different specs on different websites for the exact same unit. Maybe there's additional software that can be installed to get an altimeter or something? I don't know... thanks in advance for your posts.

-KrazyRaider

OK.... i've posted a few times in here already but at least i have narrowed down my search to the Garmin etrex Legend GPSr. I have searched and read up on it all day today. My problem is this... the garmin website shows that this unit does not have a barometric altimeter, but multiple other sources are saying that it does. Anyone around here use of of these that could tell me whether or not if the Garmin Etrex Legend has a barometric altimeter or not? Doesn't really matter all that much, its just bothering me that i've read different specs on different websites for the exact same unit. Maybe there's additional software that can be installed to get an altimeter or something? I don't know... thanks in advance for your posts.

-KrazyRaider

Hi KrazyRaider

It sounds like you are not terribly familiar with the Garmin line of GPS units. You are looking at the Garmin etrex line. Currently I believe your choices are limited to:

eTrex Vista HCx

eTrex Vista® H

eTrex Summit HC

eTrex Legend HCx

eTrex Legend H

eTrex Venture HC

eTrex H

Notice that in addition to the eTrex H there are Vista, Summit, Legend, and Venture units, and every model has additional identification (HCx,HC,H). Those additional letters are very important to determine exactly what features the unit offers.

The only units that offer a Barometric Altimeter are the eTrex Vista HCx, eTrex Vista H, and eTrex Summit HC. Notice there are NOT any Legend units on that list. The barometric capability is a built in sensor and is not possible to added to other units by way of software. Even without barometric sensors, all the other units can determine approximate elevation if locked onto enough Satellites.

All specification information on all Garmin units is available and accurate on their website. Are you actually looking at an eTrex Legend HCx or eTrex Legend H, and out of curiosity what drew you to it?

Thanks for your reply Cardinal Red. I actually have read up quite a bit on all of the garmin models. I know that the H is high sensitivity, the c is color, and the x allows for external memory cards. I don't care about color and for my first and cheap GPSr i think the 24 MB internal memory is more than enough for the use i'll get out of it. I am actually looking at the magellan explorist 210 also. I initially chose the Garmin etrex legend H because i don't have the budget for hundreds of $$ for the c and x, 24 MB is more than enough for now, and from what i've read, for the money, this unit is my best bet. I am more than willing to listen and read up on other units that you or anyone else might suggest. I don't plan on actually purchasing any unit for a few days so that i can make sure that i get the best one for me... unless i find too good of a deal to pass up. I was unsure if there was any kind of software downloads or something like that for more versatility, thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't care if the unit i end up with is new or used in good condition. I would like to spend less than $75 on one and i haven't found much other than these 2 units for that price. But for kicks, we can turn this thread into a GPSr's for under $100 (most likely used). Thanks again for your reply and to those of you who will reply in the future.

-KrazyRaider

You're focussing on the right type of unit.

- To confirm, neither of the Legend models (H or HCx) have altimeter and it is not a function that can be added with software.

- If you plan to use the unit outdoors you will find that the monochrome screen is easier to view for most practical purposes.

- If you don't plan on using maps, or maps for a restricted area are sufficient, the 24MB non-expandable memory won't be an issue.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I love my Legend HCx.

- I could mostly live without the colour screen. The only display it makes any difference on is the map display (useful for some types of maps) and the icons on the menu screens (no loss if they weren't in color). The majority of the most useful screens for geocaching and orienteering/hiking/mountain biking are still monochrome even on my colour unit. The monochrome pages are way more readable outdoors than the colour pages.

- I couldn't live without the expansion card. I initially bought the Venture HC, thinking I could cheap it out and live without the memory card. It took me less than half an hour to discover it wouldn't work for me. I just love to load lots of maps in at once and then not have to worry about loading different maps, no matter where I might use the unit next. In particular, topo maps can be terrible memory hogs and I use a couple of different ones in my unit. Love that 2GB memory card!! Half an hour and the Venture HC went back in the box and back to the place I bought it, in exchange for my Legend HCx.

(Not trying to persuade you of anything ... just letting you know where my comments come. It's always easier to understand comments when you know what the other guy cares about.)

...ken...