Accuracy Issue/Question

TheCrackers4

My wife bought me a GeoMate Jr. For Christmas. Came in the mail today.

So I got my mate working and went to a cache location where, I had previsouly found a cache.

The issue happened when, I pulled up to the cache site. was directly in front of it, but the Mate was saying 39 feet in another direction. I was wondering is this a common problem, could I have done something wrong?

Secondly for anyone who has bought the cable to do the updates, is it really worth the extra $25 dollars or for the asking price?

The geomate Jr has a high sensitivity reveiver in it but the general accuracy of all handheld receivers does vary. 15 to 40 feet under typical conditions is not unheard of and up to 60 feet at times. Atmospheric conditions, the geometry between the sats, signal strength and more constantly change the accuracy of any reading to some degree.

Anytime you are caching you should be prepared to slowly expand your search radius up to 50 or so feet away from where your unit says ground zero is. Very often you will find the cache within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen the search.