How about a cheap Apisphere Geomate or Garmin eTrex

mcguirejohnr

What about using my Garmin 270 to route me near the cache and then a cheap Apisphere Geomate or Garmin eTrex to zero in on the cache? I know it wouldn't have paperless caching but for a couple of youn children just hiking around the parks would this work? I read a number of postings about paying to upgrade later but for children wouldn't this work pretty well?

Hello. In addition to my normal geocaching GPSr I also own a Geomate Jr. and find it to be a very good and useful GPSr for geocaching. Like every GPSr it has both pros and cons associated with owning it. To answer your question using your vehicles GPS to get you near the cache and using a lower end model GPSr to get to ground zero is a very accepted way that lots of folks do. Of course there are top of the line GPSr's that have all sorts of bells and whistles, but realistically all you really need is for a GPSr to point you in the direction of the cache and also to tell you how far away the cache is.

If you are seriously thinking of buying a Geomate Jr. then I'd recommend you go back through the old threads in this forum and find the one that's titled Geomate Jr. owners report (or something similar to that) and you can read up on both it's pros and cons.

Good luck in your search for the best GPSr for your geocaching needs! :D

What about using my Garmin 270 to route me near the cache and then a cheap Apisphere Geomate or Garmin eTrex to zero in on the cache? I know it wouldn't have paperless caching but for a couple of youn children just hiking around the parks would this work? I read a number of postings about paying to upgrade later but for children wouldn't this work pretty well?

BestBuy has the eTrex H (Yellow) for $80! Can't beat that with a stick! Many of us started with the eTrex yellow...works fine. And it has more features than the GeoMate.