GPS UPGRADE

I have been cachng for a little over a year now using an eTrex Legend, and a pda for paperless, but there are times when it gives me fits expecially when it's damp out. A fellow cacher uses a 60CSx and I like everything about it including the price now down to ($250), but recently I met a nother cacher using a colorado, and it seemed quite impressive, and I believe they are on sale right now too. but i worry about the ruggedness of the touchscreen and acuracy, I have seen what a 60csx can do and am leaning that way... any Ideas on what would be the better route to take?

Hi and welcome to Geocaching :lol:

The Colorado isn't a touch-screen... are you instead referring to the Oregon? If so, yes it does appear the touch-screens are rugged enough but you would still be advised to add a screen protector onto it, and also it wouldn't hurt to maintain caution when using it..

The 60CSx is indeed a fine machine, but as you probably know it isn't "paperless capable" so, you'd still be using your PDA alongside it.. if that isn't a concern for you then by all means grab one!

And,, have you looked at the Delorme PN-30/40 models? If money is tight then these units are worth taking a peek at, provided you don't do much international traveling ;) as the map options are limited to North America. Also their battery life isn't the best, but as long as you're willing to carry spares that may not be a problem either..

I have been cachng for a little over a year now using an eTrex Legend, and a pda for paperless, but there are times when it gives me fits expecially when it's damp out. A fellow cacher uses a 60CSx and I like everything about it including the price now down to ($250), but recently I met a nother cacher using a colorado, and it seemed quite impressive, and I believe they are on sale right now too. but i worry about the ruggedness of the touchscreen and acuracy, I have seen what a 60csx can do and am leaning that way... any Ideas on what would be the better route to take?

REI has the Oregon 300 on sale for $249.95 until Monday. It's a great buy at that price. I just purchased one and love it. I replaced a Vista HCx which I liked very much, but the Oregon with it's ease of use has it beat. Go to REI and take a look at it.

OldA'sFan

REI has the Oregon 300 on sale for $249.95 until Monday. It's a great buy at that price. I just purchased one and love it. I replaced a Vista HCx which I liked very much, but the Oregon with it's ease of use has it beat. Go to REI and take a look at it.

OldA'sFan

Some reviews I have read indicated that the screen had too much trouble in sunlight. Any experience about that either way?

That is a great deal and I would be tempted to order one.

Some reviews I have read indicated that the screen had too much trouble in sunlight. Any experience about that either way?

The screen could be brighter. However, it is readable in sunlight. You just need to tilt it the right way, so that sunlight is shining directly into it. If it is at an angle, it is unreadable unless the backlight is on.

Turning on the backlight is as simple as a short press on the power button.