Help with uploading to Colorado 400t

desulli

I just recently got the Colorado 400t. So far it seems to be a nice unit. The only thing is, I cant seem to mass upload the cache files. Is there a way to do it and keep the information on the cache? I know how to upload the .loc files in mass, but not anything else........it just takes to long to go through each file seperatly and upload them.....HELP???

Thanks.

FYI....it the GPX files I'm talking about....I think. Its whatever file it sends when you click the "send to GPS" button.

Edited by desulli

As a basic member, you can download 20 caches at a time from the Search page in the form of LOC files which contain only the basic information about the cache.

GPX files from Geocaching.com are only available to Premium Members.

If you become a Premium Member, you can get Pocket Queries with up to 500 caches in GPX format emailed to you. And you can load these GPX files to your GPS unit.

Thanks for the reply.

I know as a basic I can only do certain things. I can however click the "send to GPS" button and get the file uploaded. I have no problem paying for upgraded membership, except, I live in Germany (military) and cant read or speak German. Most of the caches here are in German. Is there a way to convert to English? This is the ONLY reason I havent upgraded yet......

Thanks for your time to help me figure this out.

There is an alternative way off uploading caches to your gps.

If you register your device with garmin on their website, you can go into the my extras area, then geocaches you can upload 20 at a time. But there is a downside! you can only upload "traditional caches".

the best thing to do is get the premium membership its easier.

I cant see an easy way to translate the caches to english, but someone may be along.

The only way i can think of is to use babelfish or similar to translate 1 page at a time nad save the result to word and then into a PDA or print them out. Or get a translation book :laughing:

The only way i can think of is to use babelfish or similar to translate 1 page at a time nad save the result to word and then into a PDA or print them out. Or get a translation book :laughing:

I do this already (print them out translated not PDA). Its a pain and I'm trying to get away from it. I guess if there isnt an easy way to translate and save to my GPS then I wont be paying for a membership.....Oh well. :)

When I use the "Send to GPS" button with my Colorado, it will send the basic coordinates to the unit but not the gpx file (assuming you have the Garmin plugin so that your unit is recognized).

Perhaps it is because I am a premium member, but there is another GPX button that allows me to save the specific GPX file on the unit itself. This can be a quick and easy method of getting a single cache to the Colorado in a hurry.

As others have noted, to do mass gpx file, you would need to become a premium member and get the PQ for wherever you are caching. When I have cached in foreign countries, I have sometimes ran specific cache pages through a translator, copied the cache description and hint, then used GSAK to edit the cache pages, replacing the foreign language with the translated information. You could then send the edited GPX file straight to the Colorado.

As you probably know, online translators sometimes makes for interesting descriptions, but that would be a comparatively easy way of transferring the cache information to the unit.

Edited by Erickson

Thanks for the info. It looks like what I need.

If there is anyone else that wants to see what was said, or thinks it would be a good idea to share, let me know and I'll post it on here for the world to see.....thats if its ok with Erickson?

This might be just what I need to push me to pay for the upgraded membership (I'm just looking for a reason truthfuly...LOL)

One question though....where do I download GASK from?

Never mind...finally found it: http://www.gsak.net/

Edited by desulli

Here is the quick and easy version. GSAK is a handy utiliity for a windows pc that allows you to import gpx or loc files. I have used it to edit the imported information - such as replacing the listed coordinates of a puzzle with the solved location. You could also translate the cache page and copy and paste the description and hint into the appropriate fields.

GSAK can create gpx files that can be sent directly to the Colorado by saving it in the appropriate folder on the unit (Garmin/GPX if memory serves me correct). Or there is a macro on the GSAK site that does it automatically.

You can use GSAK for free but its not expensive to purchase and you get the latest version. I often use it to edit pqs when I am traveling and it has many other uses.