controlling installation of maps in mapsource

ras_oscar

Is there a way to tell mapsource to "combine" several installs so they show up on one map selection? Right now I have northeast topo part 1 and part 3 installed and they are 2 different selections on the map selector in the upper left corner or the mapsource window. I tried installing multiple map selections into the same target directory and only one shows up.

Related question: how do I delete a mapset from mapsource? Can I just delete the offending directory?

Edited by ras_oscar

Is there a way to tell mapsource to "combine" several installs so they show up on one map selection? Right now I have northeast topo part 1 and part 3 installed and they are 2 different selections on the map selector in the upper left corner or the mapsource window. I tried installing multiple map selections into the same target directory and only one shows up.

In Mapsource you select all of the selections you want at once, before transfering the maps to the device.

- select northeast topo part 1 in the map selector list,

- use the map selection tool in the toolbar to highlight the entire map or just those tiles you want so that the tiles you want from that map turn pink,

- select northeast topo part 3 in the map selector list,

- use the map selection tool in the toolbar to highlight the entire map or just those tiles you want so that the tiles you want from that map turn pink,

- select any other mapset in the map selector list,

- etc.

- select Transfer To Device,

- select your device,

- make sure "Maps" is checked in the transfer box,

- transfer the maps.

Related question: how do I delete a mapset from mapsource? Can I just delete the offending directory?

No, that will cause you problems. You need to make sure it's removed from the registry. If the mapset is from Garmin and was installed properly you should be able to us the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove it that way.

...ken...

AFAIK the only way it could be done is to open one of them in something like GPSMapEdit and add the other one to it and recompile into 1 map as a new map using cgpsmapper.

GMapTool will combine .img files and you could combine the 2 that way.

Both of these possibilities are probably more trouble than it may be worth just to get 1 combined topo map.