"The Serial Port Could not be Opened"

JaySTE

I have a Garmin "Yellow" E-Trex, the "original" and until recently, I've always been able to connect it with my serial cord to my computer to download waypoints for Geocaching. I use the program "Easy GPS" for this and it's always worked great. However, now when I try to read from the GPS I get an error message: "The Serial Port Could not be Opened". I've tried everything to try and make sure some other software wasn't hogging the port. I've uninstalled phone software, old palm software, everything that seemed like it could use the serial port (COM1). No luck. I tried running the Garmin update to see it the fault was Easy GPS, it cannot find the GPS either. I've also gone into my device manager, reset to defaults, no luck. I've restarted the computer many times.

I've done everything in my capability to resolve this issue, but I am getting nowhere. I'm hoping someone here might be able to describe how to go into BIOS and see if I need to make changes there... or something.

This really puts a dent in our geocaching. I don't want to buy a new GPS with USB, and entering the coords manually is a pain.

Any help appreciated.