Magellan GPS 2000

A friend who is insterested in checking out geocaching just got a Magellan GPS 2000 off e-bay for $40. Personally, I think that's way to much for a nine year old unit, but...

Has anyone used one for caching (in "modern" times) and have any thoughts? I guess it could be servicible for the first so many caches, but since you can't connect it to a computer to load waypoints or update its software, I don't think they'd use it very long.

I tried to get her to tell me what she was bidding on, but never heard back until she got it in. She's also bidding on a Garmin of some sort, but I'm hoping to find out from her what model before it's too late.

Just curious. Thanks.

A friend who is insterested in checking out geocaching just got a Magellan GPS 2000 off e-bay for $40. Personally, I think that's way to much for a nine year old unit, but...

Has anyone used one for caching (in "modern" times) and have any thoughts? I guess it could be servicible for the first so many caches, but since you can't connect it to a computer to load waypoints or update its software, I don't think they'd use it very long.

I tried to get her to tell me what she was bidding on, but never heard back until she got it in. She's also bidding on a Garmin of some sort, but I'm hoping to find out from her what model before it's too late.

Just curious. Thanks.

I don't think your friend will have a good experience with that unit. A 2000 was the very first GPS unit. (Gave a friend $20 for mine almost two years ago.) If you stood on a large hill, on a clear day it would get a position lock. It would kind of do OK while moving in a car, but that was about it.