Colorado 300 Battery Cover

Purchased the CO 300 today and I notice that the battery cover doesn't seem to slide all the way home but yet the small locking lever is latched and locked. There is a small (1-2 millimeter) gap all the way around where the cover should fit snug up to the unit. Anyone else ever seen this..? Is it normal..? I may take it back and exchange for another one but thought I'd ask here anyway.

Purchased the CO 300 today and I notice that the battery cover doesn't seem to slide all the way home but yet the small locking lever is latched and locked. There is a small (1-2 millimeter) gap all the way around where the cover should fit snug up to the unit. Anyone else ever seen this..? Is it normal..? I may take it back and exchange for another one but thought I'd ask here anyway.

Forget how the battery cover seems to fit, just dunk it in water for a while and test its water resistance. If it's not water resistant then it can be replaced under warranty.

(just kidding about trying to kill the unit. If you think it's not right, take it back)

Hi

The battery cover does have a fairly uniformed gap all around.

However you need to check the rubber seal under the cover to make sure that when you slide the cover on it is not being snagged and coming out of its little groove!

If this is the case take it back, this is a fault with the older units and garmin change mine after i reported the problem.

Make sure that the o-ring seal is not pushed out of it's grove. The seal only protects the battery compartment and there is a lower o-ring seal that protects the SD card slot. Both of these seals are designed to keep the moisture out of the electronics. If you see water inside make sure that the battery compartment and SD card slot are dry. If there is any moisture in there remove the batteries and blow it dry with a hair drier.

Edited by RonFisk

Thanks for the info.... I went back to the store to exchange the unit but after talking to the sporting goods manager and seeing the other 300s on the shelf, they are all the same. So I kept the gadget i bought and double checked the o rings as recommended...

If there is any moisture in there remove the batteries and blow it dry with a hair drier.

You can also drop a doused gadget into a zip-lok bag full of rice for a day or 2 as well. I never tried it with a gps but it worked wonders on cell phones that my kids have dunked accidentally.

That's normal.

There is a small gap all the way around...the seal is actually underneath, look for the rubber seal around the battery compartment and SD card slot.

Garmin sent me a replacement back cover with the orange SD card gasket seal. I put a tiny bit of spark plug electrical grease on the battery gasket and the results were amazing. The battery cover slides on and off very easily. I highly recommend others consider also removing the R&R wheel using your thumb nail and putting the same electrial grease on the bottom side of the wheel and housing which results in the wheel spinning freely without the sensation of it binding.

All 3 of my CO's had that gap. AND all 3 units leaked. Garmin replaced mine with an Oregon which has a totally different design and does not leak.

It is documented elsewhere in these forums that the CO battery case is not IPX7.

Garmin has issued a modified version of the back cover which better protects the SD card and the internal works.

My advice: Take it back and get an Oregon.