Need Help with Garmin Nuvi 500

doublebk

I have been using a nuvi 500 now for about a year has been working great for on and off ruad for caching. My problem now is when your in driving mode everything is good but when I get close and change to walking mode usaully when you go back to menu after changing to walk you would see the compass icon to guide you. Now instead of Compass Icon the Detour icon is there. How do I get the compass option to be there ?? Please Help

You need to ask yourself, "What changed?" Did you do a firmware update or any update from Garmin? Install a new map, etc? Lend it to someone who might have messed with the settings? It shouldn't just "up and change" all by itself with nothing being done to it.

Also, this is, yet again, another reason why we back these things up to our computers. If something changes, you can restore it back to a period where you knew everything was working right. I back mine up once every couple of months (or when a new update/map comes out) and keep three previous "rolling" backups where I delete the oldest one when I make a new backup. Being able to do this is great with the Nüvis because you can access it like an external drive via USB. I can't do this with my Garmin 60CSx, but I don't worry about it like I do my Nüvi in the car, which I rely on and use a great deal more.

Edited by scotthsi

I did do an update when I was connected to the Garmin site that may have done it. But how do I return to the way it was. If I do a reset will my maps stay intact ? I can retreive my geocaches and POI's as they are on my computer. Here is the Versions I am running

SW 3.40

Audio 2.20

GPS SW 2.47b

I did do an update when I was connected to the Garmin site that may have done it. But how do I return to the way it was. If I do a reset will my maps stay intact ? I can retreive my geocaches and POI's as they are on my computer. Here is the Versions I am running

SW 3.40

Audio 2.20

GPS SW 2.47b

Google "nuviperry". I don't have the exact link. He has almost (if not all) previous firmware versions for every Nuvi. You can "downgrade" to an older firmware and your maps will be fine. It will probably reset everything else back to factory settings. It did for my Nuvi 660, but changing to the older firmware worked just fine. JUST BE SURE TO BACK EVERYTHING UP TO YOUR COMPUTER FIRST! That way if you do lose your map for some reason, you can restore it back to the point you are at right now.

I have been using a nuvi 500 now for about a year has been working great for on and off ruad for caching. My problem now is when your in driving mode everything is good but when I get close and change to walking mode usaully when you go back to menu after changing to walk you would see the compass icon to guide you. Now instead of Compass Icon the Detour icon is there. How do I get the compass option to be there ?? Please Help

I would check first if walking mode is set to navigate "offroad". If not, something have happend in update and walking mode is changed to use "following roads" (or similar) like in driving mode. There is a setting where this can be chosen.