World's largest earthen dam.

bobandia

I would like to create an earthcache that would be for the world's largest earthen dam at the time it was erected. It was in the late 1920s and also created the largest man made lake at the time. I have seen ECs at dams, but just want to make sure.

I'm not sure on this one. Maybe if you emphasized the surrounding geology and/or where the dirt came from and the result to the local geology, it would fly?? Most other ECs which feature dams are weir dams or part of watersheds. The (your) dam is part of a watershed so that maybe is the approach. We don't have any dams in our collection of ECs so I'm kinda of ignorant on the topic.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

"To meet the Earthcache guidelines and be approved, your EarthCache MUST contain thorough educational information for the visitor about the earth science of the site."

What kinds of educational information about that "world's largest earthen dam" provided for the visitor???

I would like to create an earthcache that would be for the world's largest earthen dam at the time it was erected. It was in the late 1920s and also created the largest man made lake at the time. I have seen ECs at dams, but just want to make sure.

Absolutely you can make an earthcache on a dam. Your cache would qualify under the hydrology topic. Information to look at is how much water does the dam hold. What purpose was the dam built for (ie recreation, flood control, electricity, drinking supply, etc). The history of the dam. Possible hazards of earth dams and has or has not this dam experienced any of these problems.