Oregon 300 - Software Version vs. GPS Software Version

wahoowad

The About screen on my Oregon 300 lists:

Software Version 2.90

Unit ID

GPS Software Version 2.58

I'm pretty sure the first one (Software Version 2.90) is also called the firmware version and I can upgrade to the 3.15 beta if I want. I'm fully aware of the beta risks.

What about updates to the other software (GPS Software Version 2.58)? I'm currently using Garmin's US Topo 2008 100K stuff and no other mapping or specialty chips.

There have been several software updates from your 2.90. The latest software version is 3.20 and the latest firmware version is 3.7. The firmware is automatically updated, if need be, when the software is updated. The non-beta versions require Webupdater.

edit: 3.20 is not a beta version. See this thread - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230731

Edited by eaparks

There have been several software updates from your 2.90. The latest software version is 3.20 and the latest firmware version is 3.7. The firmware is automatically updated, if need be, when the software is updated. The non-beta versions require Webupdater.

edit: 3.20 is not a beta version. See this thread - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230731

eaparks - the version 3.20 software you linked to is not software for the GPS unit, instead it is the update software that is run on the PC.

edit - well, after just registering my 300 online it was updated and About screen says

Software Version 3.20

Unit ID

GPS Software Version 3.70

So what would this 3.15 beta do? Has that been passed by the 3.20 GA release? :rolleyes:

Edited by wahoowad

When I first posted to upgrade to 3.15 beta I was not aware that Garnin had just released software version 3.20 yesterday, which is a non-beta version. So I edited my post acknowledging that the latest unit's software version is 3.20 which is the version that should be upgraded to. Sorry for the confusion.

When I first posted to upgrade to 3.15 beta I was not aware that Garnin had just released software version 3.20 yesterday, which is a non-beta version. So I edited my post acknowledging that the latest unit's software version is 3.20 which is the version that should be upgraded to. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks. It didn't occur to me that 3.20 was probably the GA release of the 3.15 beta! I have 2.30 on itnow and it is doing fine.