How to upload maps to Garmin 550t

lem1

Hello Geocachers :unsure: ,

I recently upgraded to Premium Membership in the site, bought myself a Garmin 550t and been having a blast with this hobby. So I started adventuring a bit with GPS maps as well.

I'm new to GPS maps. I have always used whatever it came with it. But recently I have tried downloading some free GPS maps online in some websites, some were saved in BIN formats, some in IMG formats, I am not sure how to load them, so my questions would be the following for anyone with experience on this:

1. What formats are compatible with my Garmin 550t?

2. Where am I suppose to put the maps (my guess was in the ExtData folder there is 2 bin files)?

3. Will it work to have more than one map at the same time? (I heard you could only use one at a time).

4. Finally, I was able to get some very detailed maps in a cartography office but they come in DWG format, is there a way to make it work on my GPS?

Thanks a lot in advance. This will help me a lot!

NOTE: I tried using search, Google, and the Owner's Manual Cd, but I could not find my answers.

Lem1

Garmin compatible map files will have a .img extension. Of course there are other file types with that extension, so make sure you know what you are getting. I don't think DWG, BIN or SHP files are going to be compatible and will need further conversion to be Garmin compatible.

The name of conversion software (other than the cost prohibitive ARCGis) allude me at the moment.

Just check the description of the file before you download it to ensure it's Garmin compatible. Many map files require loading into another application and selecting the individual tiles (small sections of the larger map) and then converting to the IMG file to send to your device. Mapsource can do this with Mapsource compatible maps.

Checkout www.gpsfiledepot.com for some Garmin compatible maps.

Thank you for your answer Jeep4two. I will be definitely looking into that website later on today.

You do not know where do I find the actual maps I am currently using in the GPS right? Is it in the Garmin folder? ExData folder? If anyone knows this. Thank you!