Spider ID Help

M3J

Saw this guy while caching in Paisley, Ont this weekend. I'd guess his body was about 3/4 to 1 inch long. Anyone have any clue what kind of spider this is? Never seen one like this before.

a0ad2992-2132-49a4-8263-140d7c306fef.jpg

Looks like a banana spider, had a few of them around the house, scary fella's when they take up residence in the grape vine at the entrance of the shed about head height only seeing him at about 6 inches away.

It is an Orb Weaver Spider.

I know this because quite a few years ago I found one living in the tall grass between my property and the field beside us. I had to search to find out what it is, like you. They are there every year. I let them stay, spiders are our friends, but I stay away from them... they are interesting creatures and I am not afraid of them but they are soooo big they kinda give me the creeps!!!

Edited by brendah

Thanks guys. I was just curious. It was very pretty (for a spider) and I had never seen one like this before. Wasn't sure if they were venemous or not and whether future cachers to the area should be warned or not but it sounds like those guys are like the planet earth in HHGTTG....Mostly Harmless.

It is an Orb Weaver Spider.

I know this because quite a few years ago I found one living in the tall grass between my property and the field beside us. I had to search to find out what it is, like you. They are there every year. I let them stay, spiders are our friends, but I stay away from them... they are interesting creatures and I am not afraid of them but they are soooo big they kinda give me the creeps!!!

Looking at the legs I would have to agree.

garspi1b.jpg

But it is also close to the Yellow Garden Spider also found in Canada.

ArgAr3x3.jpg