Moving around in GC Google Map

billrow

When I'm using the Google Maps function within GC.com (where it shows caches on the map), if I want to move around to a different area on the map, I have to click/drag, click/drag, etc. very quickly if I don't want it to jump in and pull up the caches for the current map view. (In other words, if I need to do the scrolling several times to get to the area I want to see).

Occasionally I seem to get into a mode where I can keep moving the map location around WITHOUT it trying to immediately refresh the caches. But I have no idea what action is changing me to that mode! Just seems to happen sometimes. Any idea how that works?

When I'm using the Google Maps function within GC.com (where it shows caches on the map), if I want to move around to a different area on the map, I have to click/drag, click/drag, etc. very quickly if I don't want it to jump in and pull up the caches for the current map view. (In other words, if I need to do the scrolling several times to get to the area I want to see).

Occasionally I seem to get into a mode where I can keep moving the map location around WITHOUT it trying to immediately refresh the caches. But I have no idea what action is changing me to that mode! Just seems to happen sometimes. Any idea how that works?

Sounds like a unintentional java script error. I have has a simular occurance a couple times, but it was always on accident. The only solution at this time is to zoom out to where GC doesn't request caches in an area, and then zoom in again. If they ever add a feature to not search for caches in the map view then it will solve this basic reoccuring issue.

MYater

I have a (non geocaching) Google Maps application which has a similar idea: you pan/zoom and then data gets loaded from the database. I reduce database load in two ways:

1) As soon as the user does mouseDown on the map, I cancel any outstanding AJAX requests for data from the server.

2) The user can uncheck a box which says "load the data live" and then just recheck it when they've panned/zoomed to where they want to be.

Either of those might help, I guess.

2) The user can uncheck a box which says "load the data live" and then just recheck it when they've panned/zoomed to where they want to be.

That would be useful for speeding up panning to different, and should significantly reduce server load. We need a check box! :blink: