I'm in the Uk and need help choosing a new phone...

I'm not very well up on all the GPS devices but I'm getting a new phone in the next couple of weeks. My contract is due to expire and I'm going to get a phone that I can use for Geocaching in addition to my E-TREX H. I want to be able to download real-time caches in the area that I'm in at the time and for it to alert me when I go near a cache when I'm out. I was told this was possible. I was looking at Nokia phones but I have heard good things about the Iphone but I hear there are different ones :( I really don't know what to buy so I was hoping somebody could help. I don't mind paying a monthly / yearly fee, I just want a decent phone that does what I need and isn't slow! Thanks, Jen.

I'm not very well up on all the GPS devices but I'm getting a new phone in the next couple of weeks. My contract is due to expire and I'm going to get a phone that I can use for Geocaching in addition to my E-TREX H. I want to be able to download real-time caches in the area that I'm in at the time and for it to alert me when I go near a cache when I'm out. I was told this was possible. I was looking at Nokia phones but I have heard good things about the Iphone but I hear there are different ones :( I really don't know what to buy so I was hoping somebody could help. I don't mind paying a monthly / yearly fee, I just want a decent phone that does what I need and isn't slow! Thanks, Jen.

It's pretty hard to beat the iPhone. I'm not sure about service providers in the UK, but we're locked into AT&T over here on this side of the pond. I'm not a big fan of AT&T coverage or service...

You have a few options -

1- Iphone with a downloadable application fron Groundspeak. Costs - I'm not sure it could be a monthly/ yearly fee. I don't have one so others can tell you what they think of it.

2- Nokia - N95/97/5800 / E71 An N or E series with built in GPS should run Trimble Geocache Navigator check on the website for compatibility. I had this in a N95 (classic and the 8gb versions) it worked well and I found my first 100 caches with it .For nokia it is a free application but no signal = no caching.

3- Windows mobile - I know there are applications out there . What they are and how they work and costs I have no idea- but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you.

4- Blackberry - Again you can use Trimbles Geocache Navigator but this time you have to pay a yearly / monthly subscription as above no signal = no caching

OR- you can use Blackstar . I looked at this but it seemed complicated and could only hold a limited number of caches . To me it seemed complicated so I moved on . Others may tell you differently - it's only my opinion.

OR - CacheBerry click here A one off payment of $15 approx (£7) lets you download your PQ's direct to the phone and store them , sort by distance ,hunt them with a compass ,google maps or a radar view ( latest beta) log them as you find them . You can either log them directly or send the found logs to your desktop for logging when you get home.

In my humble opinion I'd go for a Blackberry with CacheBerry . You won't be disapointed .

MAKE SURE YOU GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AS ALL OF THESE APPLICATIONS USE A LOT OF DATA ESPECIALLY IF YOU START DOWNLOADING CACHES WHILE OUT AND ABOUT.