Some Garmin 400t Q's

AbMagFab

Love my 400t, it's been invaluable especially for the under-tree-park-hidden-under-piles-of-logs-or-in-tree-hole caches.

But there are some things I would like to configure it to do, but can't figure out:

1) I'd like the distance to the cache/waypoint to show up on the map screen.

2) I'd like it to auto-zoom as I get closer (rather than me hitting the +/- button all the time)

3) I'd like the name of the cache/waypoint to show up all the time, not just when I click a red pin on it (which is almost impossible for me to do with my meaty fingers)

I think that's it right now. Any advice?

Thanks!

Colorado 400t or Oregon 400t? Can't give detailed instructions without knowing.

1) This is an option from the map page. On the CO, push the Options button, select Change Data Fields, highlight the field you want to change using the wheel, click Enter (center button on the wheel), scroll to the new data item using the wheel, press Enter again. Operation on the OR will be logically similar but I don't know details. This assumes you are not in geocaching mode. I am pretty sure that bearing (pointer) and distance to next are shown on the CO (at least) on the combined map/cache header screen when navigating to a cache.

2) Not possible on CO. Don't know about the OR.

3) I am not sure what this question means. If you are routing to the cache (on either unit), the routing line on the map connects your current location to the cache location. If you are zoomed far enough out, you will always be able to see both your current location and the cache. If not, you will need to pan the map to see the cache location. On the CO, you do this with the four-way rocker on the wheel. The OR will have a gesture to do the same thing.

Colorado 400t or Oregon 400t? Can't give detailed instructions without knowing.

I almost asked the same question. Upon closer inspection of the OP you'll see they mention "hitting the +/- button all the time" which leads me to believe they're talking about an Oregon.

Since I own a Colorado...I didn't respond because I didn't know the answer to their question. :P

But I'm pretty sure I know the answer to yours. :lol:

To show distance to Cache and name of cache you have selected to remain on the screen, go to the map. Then touch one of the data fields at the top of the screen. (If you do not have a data screen go to Setup and select Map then select data fields. You can have up to four on the screen at a time.) Once you have the data fields on the Map, simply touch one of them and it will give you a choice of changing the field. This is where you can choose the distance to the cache and the Cache name which will remain on the Map screen.

To show distance to Cache and name of cache you have selected to remain on the screen, go to the map. Then touch one of the data fields at the top of the screen. (If you do not have a data screen go to Setup and select Map then select data fields. You can have up to four on the screen at a time.) Once you have the data fields on the Map, simply touch one of them and it will give you a choice of changing the field. This is where you can choose the distance to the cache and the Cache name which will remain on the Map screen.

Got it! Thanks! I didn't have any data fields on the screen, and didn't check that option. Now I do!

Thanks again.

That's a good idea for the Geocaching Profile..>I might have to give that a try and see how I like it.

I have made a few requests to Garmin for a future firmware update, one of which was to make it easier to move from the Compass screen to the cache description/hint/log screens. Right now, you have to go all the way out of the compass back to the main menu to get to the description, which is just a pain. I loved the 60CSx for this...you'd go from compass to hint to found in one click. Not sure why they got away from this in the OR and CO. Grrrr.

I just updated my firmware on the OR 400T, and they have added an option to have FOUR data fields on the map screen. Very handy. I set mine to show my Speed, Waypoint at Destination (Name of the cache) the pointer (so i don't have to switch between the map and compass screen (especially handy when getting close to a cache in the car) and the distance to destination. Pretty sweet. I was hoping they would do this. Now if I could just put a pointer/distance field on the Description screen, too!

Edited by bunkerdave