vista cx - cache hints and difficulty

hello everyone,

my magellan 500 recently had a bit of an accident and no longer works. i decided to purchase a garmin vista cx. i was wondering if there was a way to upload the cache hints and difficulty and cache titles much like the magellan 500 unit had or will i need to print out the cache pages?

thanks a lot!

Edited by drbadskwerl

If you use GSAK and the macros to export the data and load them with POI Loader as Custom POIs, you can get most of the information on the unit.

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

There's also information in this thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4022485

Will this work with a Vista Hcx? And I thought this GPS doesn't have the Paperless Caching ability.

Edited by Tydog07

Correct. I have a Vista hcx and though you can't use the actual Geocaching mode and mark it as found and all that, you can use GSAK and their macros to do paperless geocaching.

Now, the downside is that only a very small amount of characters fit on a screen on the Vista, so if you want every thing that the page on gc.com says, it's going to be a lot of paging.

Correct. I have a Vista hcx and though you can't use the actual Geocaching mode and mark it as found and all that, you can use GSAK and their macros to do paperless geocaching.

Now, the downside is that only a very small amount of characters fit on a screen on the Vista, so if you want every thing that the page on gc.com says, it's going to be a lot of paging.

I just really would like the hint, the cache title and difficult. I don't really need the full cache description.

Thanks a lot!

I just really would like the hint, the cache title and difficult. I don't really need the full cache description.

Thanks a lot!

Cache name should be there automatically if you use GPX files. You can alter the cache waypoint name via GSAK to give you cache size, type, difficulty and terrain. For instance GC12345 can be changed so it reads MT12345 13, meaning micro, traditional difficulty 1, terrain 3. GC45678 can become RM45678 2A which is Regular size, multi, difficulty 2, terrain 1.5.

You can load caches twice, first as a regular geocache, then again as a POI and load the hint into the POI using GSAK. This way you can use the geocaching features and if you are stuck, you simply call up the POI to get the hint.

It may sound like a lot of work, but once you have the macros set up, all it takes is a few mouse clicks each time you load the unit.