Multiple maps per micro sd card

jefro

Greetings,

Is there any way to get 2 different garmin map products on a micro sd card?

I've managed to get my topo canada onto a micro sd card, but when I want to combine my selected region with my bluechart 2008, it overwrites my topo on the sd card <_<

Is this simply a matter of renaming the .img file, or creating a separate folder?

There's plenty of room on the card, it's 4gb in size.

Or, is there any way that my Oregon can display both the TopoCanada v4 and the bluechart americas 2008?

I've read something about transparent maps elsewhere in these forums, but can't find it again.

Edited by jefro

You can have multiple maps on your SD card.

Old GPS

In Mapsource select tiles from all your different maps and send it to your SD card. http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html

If you try to send one map from mapsource to SD card, and then later send one extra to your SD card, the first is over written, so you need to send all maps in one job from mapsource.

New GPS (Colordao/Oregon with latest firmware)

Then you can copy several img fil to your SD card, naming them TopoCanada.img CNNA2010.1.img etc

I

Yup, just give the new map a new name.

I have 4 maps on mine.

Can you give me an example of a file name you used.

I've managed to get my topo on my Oregon's internal memory, and my Bluechart Americas on my sd card...but for some reason it's not giving me full detail - like it's not unlocked. Yet when I had the bluecharts on my internal memory, it showed it all, lol. Confusing <_<

I have 4 maps on mine.

I've managed to get my topo on my Oregon's internal memory, and my Bluechart Americas on my sd card...but for some reason it's not giving me full detail - like it's not unlocked. Yet when I had the bluecharts on my internal memory, it showed it all, lol. Confusing <_<

I can't remember. I either gave them names before I sent them from Mapsource or it picked the names itself.

Are the maps actully unlocked?

I have 4 maps on mine.

Ok, I figured it out now :D

Here's what I did on the Oregon to make it work.

Copied the gmapsup.img made from my topo canada v4, and overwrote it into my Oregon's internal memory. So now I just simply use my "Marine" profile when I want to use the bluechart americas 2008, and my default "recreational" when I want the topo canada v4.

Thanks for the info!!

I have 4 maps on mine.

There's no need to create a new, separate .img file for each map, though that is one way to do it on the newer models which allow multiple img files.

As jotne noted, open MapSource and select all the maps/tiles you want in the .img file, as this file gets rebuilt with only the selected maps whenever you run it.

The old maps get deleted and replaced by the selections you made.

One reason to do the multiple maps bit is so you can change the detail in one of them without a huge wait. Suppose for driving you had the entire US selected and you want to add one county in another state for geocaching on a vacation. Do you really want to spend the time to regenerate the entire US, then the one little topo map which by itself would take maybe 2 minutes from start to end?

So, I have those reasons for separate maps. Modify one without modifying all of them, it's much faster.