What is your strategy for searching newspaper rack hides?

pgillen

I'm thinking that the bomb squad is generally not the first LEO on the scene. If that first arriver were to be able to find the cache, I doubt that he would mistake the blinky for an explosive device. I suspect that it would be very rare indeed for the bomb squad to be called to check out a blinky.

All the people who suggest that the bomb squad would ever be called over a micro are just silly. Suspicious behavior is not cause for a bomb squad visit.

The bomb squad is only called when they see a real threat. Micro's would be investigated as drug drops long before being investigated as bombs.

Enough of the paranoid talk of bomb squad visits over micros... seriously....

I keep a clip board and paper in the cachemobile. If I am going into a really high density alien area cache I pull out the clip board, hold out the gps and walk directly up to the cache. When I find it, I sign it, put it back and jot another note on the clip board. Official air + clipboard + gps = 100% of the aliens think you are some kind of government worker doing some sort of official work they don't understand and won't even question what you are doing. In Vegas, I cruised right by a bunch of Hollywood types who had blocked off the Welcome to Vegas sign to tourists because they were setting up a shoot. They all glared at me, but not one dared say a word, ha, ha.

Good idea.... I bet I could pull out my old Search & Rescue vest, put my utility belt back on & go look as well!

Then again I wonder if the Vest and utility belt still fit. It's been a few years. :D

I haven't ever even seen a Newspaper rack cache yet. Wonder how they even keep from being muggled!

TGC

I'm thinking that the bomb squad is generally not the first LEO on the scene. If that first arriver were to be able to find the cache, I doubt that he would mistake the blinky for an explosive device. I suspect that it would be very rare indeed for the bomb squad to be called to check out a blinky.

All the people who suggest that the bomb squad would ever be called over a micro are just silly. Suspicious behavior is not cause for a bomb squad visit.

The bomb squad is only called when they see a real threat. Micro's would be investigated as drug drops long before being investigated as bombs.

Enough of the paranoid talk of bomb squad visits over micros... seriously....

Bomb squads have been called to film canisters, bison tubes, hide-a-keys, and (I think) match holders. IIRC, the film canister was shot with a pistol to "disable" the potential threat. Not only can it happen, it has happened.

I walk up to the box, gyrate my hips and rub my big hairy potbelly against it while singing an Elvis tune. Next,

I start to fondle it all over in a very special way until any muggles in the area scurry off in a huff while clutching

their cell phone. As soon as they leave, I grab the cache and sign in quickly and take off before the cops come.

Hahahaha! I love that! :P

Just grab it. No one cares about what you are doing.

Not always.

We went after one that was outside a newspaper office, on a Sunday. Just as we were running hands along the bottom edge, the front door unlocked, flew open, and the general manager stormed out wanting to know what we were doing to "his box".

I explained what we were doing, and he told us flat out that if someone was hiding things on "his box", somebody was going to jail. We told him we must have been mistaken, and left as he glared at us the whole way out. That, of course, was when we spotted the other paper box around the side, found the cache, and got out of there.

It was tense for a minute or two.