PN 40 Confusion

The precuts are for someone who wants a big chunk of maps ready to install on their PN without spending time selecting an area out of Topo 8. They're also the only way a Mac or other non-PC user can install maps to the PN out of the box, as T8 is only available on Windows. If you buy the DeLorme map subscription, you can download pre-cut imagery as well.

Edited by lee_rimar
...use the pre-cuts unless you have a reason to create something customized to your needs/preferences. ...
Y'know, I thought about saying something like that, but couldn't think of a good "custom" example.

I use T7 for managing supplementary data bit not basic data that's already on the precuts. How about you?

Edited by lee_rimar

Back when memory was more limited and performance was slower on the PN-20, I might want a smaller map than the precuts so as to be able to fit within internal memory so it could run faster. That's much less a concern on the PN-40, so yeah, I find myself using the precuts for the Topo8 data and generating my own detail map files for the additional imagery. Rarely I might decide I want a T8 map with more contour lines than the medium level of the precuts (I tend to rely more now on the USGS quads for higher detail since they're easily acquired through the subscription).

So I'd agree with your implication that there don't seem to be a whole lot of reasons one would *not* want to use the pre-cuts over cutting one's own T8 detail maps. But, if one ever comes up with a reason, it's an option.

... when memory was more limited and performance was slower on the PN-20, I might want a smaller map than the precuts so as to be able to fit within internal memory so it could run faster.
Yeah, I tried that with my PN-40 for the same reasons. By turning off all the data layers I didn't need, I could get all of Oregon and Washington to fit in the PN-40's internal memory. I didn't notice the speed improvement I'd hoped for. And it was a lot of fiddly work selecting and deselecting just the exact layers I wanted.

Eventually I gave up on that approach and found a "simpler" way to squeeze in what I wanted, using the precuts but eliminating parts of the basemap: http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=19639

Edited by lee_rimar

One problem with the precuts is that they're huge. Yes, the price of flash memory is always falling (great times to live in in some ways...hope you didn't plan to retire soon) As 1/3 of the state I live in takes nearly 1/2 GB of storage - and I get that 16GB of flash is $40 these days - I can't get past the impression that you need to be selective about what you load or you need to carry a bucket full of memory chips with you in your travels if you have a large working area....

...and that's before satellite imagery, which sounds really sweet but is unlikely to be smaller.

It's quite a contrast to competing units that have Topo maps of North America included and can include (way more detailed) street maps and POIs of the entire continent in < 2GB.

The convenience of being able to install maps by just copying files is great, but the size of these maps is hard to grasp.

Robert, the size of the cut map files s one of the things about the PN-40 that I originally griped about. But I've come to feel it just doesn't matter much. SD cards ARE cheap, and the time and effort to cut "custom" maps to save space isn't worth it to me -- except as an academic exercise. Sure I'd like the convenience of having the entire USA on a single card - but I rarely travel out of Oregon and Washington. And whenever I take a longer trip travel with a computer anyhow, so loading a new region when needed isn't a problem.

As to your observation about aerial imagery -- yup, it's bloody huge. Forget about getting a whole state of imagery onto an SD card, think more about spot images for small areas where you think you'll need it.

Edited by lee_rimar

Robert, This sounds like a familiar complaint of the PC back in the 90's. The more demands of the system, the more memory required. How the developer goes about it... well that's another story, but today's Mac and PC is not yesterday's system and today's GPS is definitely not yesterday's.

Yah yah, I know about Garmin's capabilities, but they started offering more memory for the map offerings they did have. Copyrights being what they are, a different method was bound to come out and require more memory to do it with. At least DeLorme stepped outside of the box so to speak and provide something no other brand did.

The question to really ask is.... What's next? I look forward to my next upgrade in a few years.