Rules - Change

commander112

Hello,

is it possible to changing the rules of geocaching.com that it´s obligation to set a geochecker into a mystery-cache - listing??

It´s really annoying if you drive a lot of kilometers because you think you have the right coordinates but you haven´t.

happy hunting

Commander112

Most cache owners I know are more than happy to verify coordinates. Also keep in mind the cache may have simply benn missing at the correct coordinates.

At any rate - the only way to make this happen as a guideline would be to have the site itself develop a checking protocol of some kind.

There are mystery caches where that requirement would not make sense. For instance a question to answer type of cache, or a series where you have to find the caches in the series in order to get the bonus cache, which is a mystery. Then you would need to craft the rules so that all possible cases are covered before such a thing can be enforced. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to email the owner with what you think are the correct co-ordinates and ask for a yes/no answer. I suspect most would help and might even point you in the right direction if the answer was no.

Jim

As most cachers who set puzzels enjoy setting a challenge for others and thus enjoy it even more when a cacher has solved their puzzle, they are normaly helpfull when someone needs a hint to said puzzle. So in turn I would have thought that a quick email to the cache owner asking if the co-ords you have come up with are correct would elicit a responce along the lines of yes they are correc/ you havn't quite got them right think a little more about this aspect of the puzzle etc.. or at least a yes or know.

Edited by Wintonian

It´s really annoying if you drive a lot of kilometers because you think you have the right coordinates but you haven´t.

As a side remark... this is just something that might happen, it's the defining difference between a mystery and a traditional. You can make your own estimate on the reliability of your answer, you can decide to combine them with other caches to spread the risk, or you can decide that failing to find a cache is too big a risk and just ignore them.

I don't think making a coordinate check obligatory is a good move.

As one of the first persons to set up an automated coordinate checker and released a script so one can set up their own, I would be dead set against a requirement to have a coordinate checker on all mystery caches. In fact, I don't have a link on my cache pages to my checker! You have to discover it on your own.

See, the idea is, you know, it's a mystery! There's no guarantees. You want a slam dunk, go hunt a skirt lifter. Me, I like a mystery. Is it there? Am I smart enough to have the right coordinates the first time? Etc.

Besides, the rating guidelines say at a certain level you might have to make a return trip. Why reduce everything to the lowest common denominator?