Brand new here . . geocoin question

passinthrough

I'm brand new here. Never hunted a cache before, my son and I are beginning this week. I thought it would be fun to have some coins of our own that we could get out there and track. So, my question is, can we have our own custom coins made with a logo and tracking numbers? Where can we have that done? I clicked through a few links on the geocoin page and didn't come up with much info. Thanks!

can we have our own custom coins made with a logo and tracking numbers? Where can we have that done?

Google this: custom geocoin

You'll get a bunch of companies to compare. Some of them allow you do send a "rough draft" sketch, and they send you a blueprint for approval. And many of them will engrave the trackable numbers, so you can register them.

The coins don't all work the same, so you can decide what you want. I'll give you some examples. "Geocoins" are moved from cache to cache and often are trackable something like Travel Bugs. "Pathtags" are coins that you may keep when you find them, designed to be signature item souvenirs (these have a tracking code that I think is the same in an entire batch).

If you like trackable items, you can get Travel Bugs, which hook to an object of your choice. They get assigned missions, and have their own pages of logs, as people tell the TB's story.

One more thing about official "Geocoins": They can become "collected", and even re-sold. If you intend for it to roam the wild, it might be a surprise for you to see it on eBay. But I haven't figured out what point a Geocoin becomes "collectable", or if there are different classifications of them.

I've looked into most of these, and the coins do look nice. For now, I need something cheaper, so I make my own signature items. And I haven't heard a peep about whether my sig items are appreciated or not. So I can only guess whether a coin would be a better choice.

Hope this helps!

Edited by kunarion