Stupid Question 4536

Sparky&Squeak

Thank you sooo much for helping me figure out the new Garmin etrex H! Now onto stupid question number 4536!

There is a little flap at the top and under it are 4 gold dots. Is that the micro card reader slot? Since I use a Mac with no card reader, should I get a card reader thinger and a micro card?

Thank you sooo much for helping me figure out the new Garmin etrex H! Now onto stupid question number 4536!

There is a little flap at the top and under it are 4 gold dots. Is that the micro card reader slot? Since I use a Mac with no card reader, should I get a card reader thinger and a micro card?

That is where the serial interface cable connects. You use it to download/upload waypoints. Not sure what program you use with a mac to manage waypoints. Waypoint manager from Garmin?

Jim

This is a proprietary interface - in other words special Garmin connection for the data cable as jholly pointed out.

You can pick one up at the Garmin site or elsewhere but make sure get one that is USB with serial to USB drivers, and is compatible with Mac. If there is such a thing. That will enable you to hook the unit up to your computer and easily transfer waypoints to your unit and keep you from haivng to manually enter them.

You can pick one up at the Garmin site or elsewhere but make sure get one that is USB with serial to USB drivers, and is compatible with Mac. If there is such a thing.
:anitongue:

Yes, there are applications for Mac, that can transfer waypoints to your GPS. :laughing:

Try the Garmin waypoint manager to start with.

There is a Mac equivalent to EasyGPS -it's called MacSimpleGPS, but is getting a little old.

There is also MacCaching -it's sort of a Mac version of GSAK... www.maccaching.com/

this prob'ly ain't gonna be the advice you want: get yourself a windows laptop for your geocaching and you will be much happier.

i wouldn't DREAM of using a windows machine at my precious mac-centered desk, but i found nothing that worked satisfactorily for my geocaching needs.