Reporting a Log Full

CanUK_TeamFitz

Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie based in the UK, but I got a great head start from my bro-in-law and who hooked me on geocaching in Canada. Thanks to him taking me on his caches, got me signed up to a premium account, guided me through all the ins and outs. In turn this accelerated my geosense and made me quite confident to go it alone (& with wife) when I got back to the UK.

Recently I came across a micro where the log was completely full and people had started logging on the white-spaces. I literally took the last 'white space' there was, and logged it as a 'needs maintenance' - but now I'm having second thoughts, particularly since it seems that most COs are happy with the honours system. :unsure:

My question is, when a log is full but there is nothing wrong with the container itself - is it right to log it as needing maintenance? Or is that supposed to be reserved just for caches that are damaged/wet?

What you did was fine, in my opinion.

Part of "owner maintenance" is to ensure their cache complies with the guidelines and one of the guidelines for caches is that they should have a log for cachers to mark in some way with their personal hieroglyphs.

Some cachers would have dealt with this by simply mentioning it in their Found It log. Others would have added an extra strip of paper, if they had one, to help the owner out until they got around to replacing the log. However it's all too easy for a cache owner to forget about a mention of a full log - a NM log tends to stick in the mind better (or it does with us!).

MrsB :unsure:

Edited by The Blorenges

The best thing, when possible, is to put in a temporary log yourself, even if its just a scrap of paper, and note that on the cache page. Of course, you may not have a scrap of paper, or even if you do, there may not be room in the container for it.

In either case, there is nothing wrong with a nicely worded Needs Maintenance log. These do not alert reviewers... they merely provide a special notification and reminder to the cache owner (and the next to try to find the cache). In fact, because you posted that, the next finders may even think to bring a replacement log themselves.