Very Frustrated trying to create a waypoint

The Cachebergers

Hello.

I have a magellan gold. I have read repeatedly directions for manually entering coordinates into my gpsr is as "simple" as highlighting the current coordinates in my unit and changing them to the coordinates of the cache.

Sounds great. I hold down GOTO and get the little screen with my current location coordinates and a default WPT number. I can change the name/icon. No problems.

But the number of letters/numbers in my unit waypoint screen do not correspond to those of the cache coordinates.

:)

This is driving me crazy. I am googling and searching and am unable to find clarification on this. SOme kind soul please oh please help me I am seriously frustrated.

I do not have a serial port and do not have a usb serial converter...I would like to start geocaching without doing all that stuff if I can. There are like two hundred caches in my immed area and I feel like I am sooo close yet so far away... :o

Thank you again for your time...

J

I have a Meridian gold too.

1) hold the "GOTO" button.

2) a page comes up with your current position and an assigned waypoint name, WPT(some number.)

3) notice that the word "save" is highlighted at the bottom of the screen. this is used if you just want to mark the spot where you currently are standing. since you want to enter the coords to a cache, follow the next steps.

4) use the large botton in the middle of the keypad to move the highlighted area to the one you wish to change. If you want to name the new waypoint, press the 'up' portion until that is highlighted. press "enter" to change the name.

when that is done, press "OK" on that page and it returns you to the waypoint page.

5) now the coordinates are highlighted. (or if you don't need to change the name of the waypoint, you can highlight the coordinates and make changes.)

6)press "enter" and the first digit is highlighted. use the 'up' / 'down' arrows on the big button to change the numbers. use the 'left' / 'right' arrows to move through the screen. once you have finished the north coord, press "enter" and it will move to the west coord.

press "enter" when finished with the west coord, and the next area is highlighted.

You don't need to make any changes on the altitude. you can skip that area.

7) you can enter a message if you wish.

8) VERY IMPORTANT: highlight "save" and press "enter" when you are done, or the waypoint will not be saved.

If you press "esc" at any time, you can leave the screen and your changes will not be saved.

This may seem difficult, but after you do it a few times, it is pretty quick.

JoesBar you are so kind to help me. I really appreciate it!

All of what you describe sounds correct. I sit here noding as I read it. But, let me give you an example to illustrate my "problem".

I follow steps 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. No prob.

But lets say, for example, I want to go to A cache at coordinates "17TE 287934N4766871", a cache near to my home. The coordiantes of my current location are displayed as (slightly changed for my privacy lol) "17TJH88547163"

See how there are THREE letters after the "17" in my current local but only TWO in the cache coords? See how there is NO letter N anywhere in my current local coords? The magellan does not allow me to change the "H" into anything but another number.

I am absolutely flummoxed.

If you have any further help for me I would be so greatful.

I have a Meridian gold too.

1) hold the "GOTO" button.

2) a page comes up with your current position and an assigned waypoint name, WPT(some number.)

3) notice that the word "save" is highlighted at the bottom of the screen. this is used if you just want to mark the spot where you currently are standing. since you want to enter the coords to a cache, follow the next steps.

4) use the large botton in the middle of the keypad to move the highlighted area to the one you wish to change. If you want to name the new waypoint, press the 'up' portion until that is highlighted. press "enter" to change the name.

when that is done, press "OK" on that page and it returns you to the waypoint page.

5) now the coordinates are highlighted. (or if you don't need to change the name of the waypoint, you can highlight the coordinates and make changes.)

6)press "enter" and the first digit is highlighted. use the 'up' / 'down' arrows on the big button to change the numbers. use the 'left' / 'right' arrows to move through the screen. once you have finished the north coord, press "enter" and it will move to the west coord.

press "enter" when finished with the west coord, and the next area is highlighted.

You don't need to make any changes on the altitude. you can skip that area.

7) you can enter a message if you wish.

8) VERY IMPORTANT: highlight "save" and press "enter" when you are done, or the waypoint will not be saved.

If you press "esc" at any time, you can leave the screen and your changes will not be saved.

This may seem difficult, but after you do it a few times, it is pretty quick.

Dear Cache4Stash,

Press the MENU button on your Magellan. Push the down arrow to the topic SETUP. press enter and then down arrow to the topic COORD SYSTEM. Press enter and it will show primary/secondary. Press enter on Primary. The topic Lat/Lon should be highlighted. Press enter. Press the arrow buttons until DEG/MIN.MMM are highlighted. Press Enter. You are now ready to have a lot of fun.

L Frank

Hello.

I have a magellan gold. I have read repeatedly directions for manually entering coordinates into my gpsr is as "simple" as highlighting the current coordinates in my unit and changing them to the coordinates of the cache.

Sounds great. I hold down GOTO and get the little screen with my current location coordinates and a default WPT number. I can change the name/icon. No problems.

But the number of letters/numbers in my unit waypoint screen do not correspond to those of the cache coordinates.

This is driving me crazy. I am googling and searching and am unable to find clarification on this. SOme kind soul please oh please help me I am seriously frustrated.

I do not have a serial port and do not have a usb serial converter...I would like to start geocaching without doing all that stuff if I can. There are like two hundred caches in my immed area and I feel like I am sooo close yet so far away... :o

J

I forgot, also make sure your MAP DATUM is set for WGS84

L Frank

Dear Cache4Stash,

Press the MENU button on your Magellan. Push the down arrow to the topic SETUP. press enter and then down arrow to the topic COORD SYSTEM. Press enter and it will show primary/secondary. Press enter on Primary. The topic Lat/Lon should be highlighted. Press enter. Press the arrow buttons until DEG/MIN.MMM are highlighted. Press Enter. You are now ready to have a lot of fun.

L Frank

Hello.

J