Rails-to-Trails and Geocaching

I found my answer - Rails to Trails is looking for Geocachers to map trails for them. Tried to figure out how to delete this post but must be having a dumb day here - can't figure that out either!!!

On the railstotrails.org website they mention that you can now find caches on the rail trails. I'm familiar with both sites and bike and cache regularly but for the life of me can't figure out how to use the feature of finding caches on the mapped bike trails.

Here is a link to a rail trail: http://www.traillink.com/ViewTrailMap.aspx?AcctID=6121448

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried searching the forums but nothing comes up here either.

Thanks so much!!

Mom to the ThreeBlackLabs

Edited by ThreeBlackLabs

I was just out on the traillink site (www.traillink.com). They now offer GPX downloads for their trails. You do not have to have an account, but it's free to set one up.

Use their 'Find A Trail' feature. When you get to the info page, there will be a button to download the GPX.

You can take the GPX file and upload it (premium membership required) on Geocaching.com. Off of your profile, click on 'Upload GPX/KML Route'. Upload your route, then select it. There should be a link near the bottom of the screen under the buttons to 'Create a Pocket Query'. You can set the distance from the route, along with other PQ filters.

One of my favorite trails (North Idaho Centennial Trail) runs near a freeway. I set the search radius for the PQ as small as possible, so that the PQ does not include very many caches on the wrong side of the freeway.

I have also used GSAK, and loaded the GPX for the trail in the Arc/Poly filter, and it works just fine.