Garmin GPSmap 60csx questions/issues

I got my 60csx mostly for hiking activities and I still have a few problems with it, maybe someone could help me resolve them please.

1)During my recent trip to White Mountains I noticed that the Total Ascent and Total Descent readings in the Altimeter page where much higher then what they are in reality? During my hikes I kept the GPS in my pocket but that shouldn't have created the abnormality. Are there any special settings I haven't set that create these higher values. I did not calibrate my altimeter and Auto Calibration is ON and Barometer Mode set to Variable Elevation.

2)When I transfer the saved tracks into MapSource the elevation plot vs. distance shows nicely but the elapsed time info is missing (total trip time). Is there a way of plotting elevation vs. time ?

Thanks for any help

I got my 60csx mostly for hiking activities and I still have a few problems with it, maybe someone could help me resolve them please.

1)During my recent trip to White Mountains I noticed that the Total Ascent and Total Descent readings in the Altimeter page where much higher then what they are in reality? During my hikes I kept the GPS in my pocket but that shouldn't have created the abnormality. Are there any special settings I haven't set that create these higher values. I did not calibrate my altimeter and Auto Calibration is ON and Barometer Mode set to Variable Elevation.

2)When I transfer the saved tracks into MapSource the elevation plot vs. distance shows nicely but the elapsed time info is missing (total trip time). Is there a way of plotting elevation vs. time ?

Thanks for any help

The total ascent includes all your "ups". This includes every time the trail goes down and then back "up". It is a better log of how far "up" you have actually walked instead of just the difference between the max altitude and the starting altitude.

As far as the plot, I'm not sure how to do this. There is two ways of saving tracks. ON is the automatic and other is done by a menu selection and the data is saved on the memory card by date. One saves more information than the other.

Rick

I did not calibrate my altimeter and Auto Calibration is ON and Barometer Mode set to Variable Elevation.

That's likely your problem right there. Auto calibration isn't all that great. you need to do it manually if you

want it to be accurate. What turn to map page with topo maps displayed. Then I walk to a contour line and

calibrate my GPS using the elevation of that contour line. If the weather changes drastically I need to do it again.