Garmin Nuvi 255W or Magellan Maestro 4350?

Hi all.

Just wondering about car GPS. I already have a VistaHCx handheld, but the screen is just too small to use for routing in a car or motorcycle.

Anyway, any opinions about these two units?

They are esentially the same price, with the Magellan actually being about $15 cheaper.

My real issue with the Magellan is that it wont display current speed while "routed" to a location...

Otherwise, it seems to have better graphics or at least much more subdued tones...and many more features, as well as included accessories in the box (case, ac adapter, USB cable which Garmin doesnt include).

Anyone have either that would care to comment?

Why do I really care about seeing my speed while driving? I have a speedometer dont I?

Am I missing something else?

I know that Magellans support has been hammered around here for a while, but I dont plan to use it really. I just bought the extended warranty, so if there is a problem, its an over the counter exchange...regardless of which one I choose...

Oh, I should say that I did own the Magellan for about 6 hours ysesterday, but thought Id give the Garmin a try, so I exchanged them.

The only real issue I had with the Magellan was an interesting routing issue that took me around the block to the LEFT when the place I wanted to go was on the RIGHT and BEFORE it wanted me to turn.

In all fairness, I did NOT update it before I tried that, so it could have updates. (I read on recent review of a similar issue before updating that disappeared after.)

So, Garmin with less features, or Magellan with all kinds of features including MP3 and RF modulator...as well as lane assistance, and 3d landmarks and more accessories?

Oh, and Ive read that the Magellan at least could be used for geocaching, so I COULD sell my Vista if need be...not sure about the Garmin.

Well, I now have both to evaluate for a couple days.

A few things Ive noticed right off the bat.

The Magellan 4350 can acquire sats in my basement rather quickly. The Garmin takes a LONG time, and needs to be told to keep searching.

The POIs on both units seem to be almost identical. But the Magellan searches them MUCH faster than the Garmin does.

The screen looks (per my wife) cartoony on the Garmin compared to the Magellan.

The Magellan will display MPH on the screen while routed...and I thought it wouldnt.

It also routes very well after the update. Its more in line with the route I would choose. The Garmins are fine, but when I know where Im going, I am biased and like certain routes...I suppose everyone does...but the Garmin likes to take me around the long way a lot of times.

The Garmin does have different voices you can use (not TTS though) and different icons for the pointer. The Magellan does neither, although the voice is MUCH clearer and more natural sounding on it as opposed to the mechanical sounding voice on the Garmin.

Garmin displays speed limits on the highway and major roads, so far I have not seen the speed warning feature of the Magellan, though I hear it is only on Interstates.

The Garmin will tell you the direction to the POIs in addition to the distance, the Magellan only tells you distance. Knowing the direction is VERY helpful while driving...

The Garmin also goes off track when you do. So if you turn off the road into a parking lot, the cursor will follow you, seemingly into nowhere. The Magellan seems to keep it locked to the road...I actually prefer the Garmins method here.

Magellan has a tone that plays just before you are supposed to turn, which could be nice I suppose, but they both speak street names, so if you are watching, its not necessary...

Edited by Lodogg2221

Well with a Garmin Nuvi, you can do this.

Paperless geocaching to go with your VistaHCx.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

Hey thanks! I didnt know I could do that...

I also know the Garmin can have custom POIs, where the Magellan seems to be able to, but its much harder to upload them...

Trying to find out all I can about both...I wish price was more of a factor! That would make the decision easy!

Edited by Lodogg2221

I've had a 255w for about a month now and it has been a great automotive GPS. What surprised me is that on the interstate even some of the ramps are in the maps. I went into the Garmin Garage on line and added a vehicle icon that is similar to what I drive.

The hardest thing about the unit is getting it back from my kid. His friends give lousy directions.

MB

The 255W is a full featured GPS, without the extras such as MP3 and bluetooth and traffic that the 4350 has. As was mentioned, custom POIs are very easy to load into the Garmin, and for geocachers the paperless feature is very nice. The Garmin also has a very nice and easy to use track log. See the link in my signature line for info on using it for geotagging your photos and more. You can add the traffic receiver to a 255 or buy the 255wt for a little more money if you are commuting in a major USA city.