Logbook & Cache Page Comments

A local cache owner has placed several logs on his own cache pages that ridicule and/or insult a finder of those caches and has attempted to bringing into question all that cacher's finds.

Subsequent to this, the cache owner deleted the cache finder's claims on his caches.

At what point does a cache owner or a cache finder cross the line in being civil within cache log entries?

Should cache log entries of this sort be brought to the attention of TPTB?

If so, then to whom would you report such issues?

Or does anyone really care?!

IMHO, log entries should be kept civil and should not be used as a platform upon which to ridicule or insult others.

Personal issues with other cachers have no place within logbook or cache page entries!

Do the Guidelines address the foregoing in any manner, i.e. foul, abusive, insulting and degrading comments within logbook & cache page entries?

"Don't shoot the messenger, just because you don't approve of the message".

Edited by Fledermaus

That does sound like something that could be brought to the the attention of Groundspeak. Cache logs should always be kept civil.

There are practical reasons for this as well: a cache owner who doesn't treat others respectfully can quickly find that others will return the favor. And what's the easiest way you can think of to get back at a cache owner? Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating this sort of behavior in any way, but I've read a couple of stories now where cachers have gotten into quarrels with other cachers, only to end up running here and saying "Help, I got in a fight with someone and now all my caches are disappearing! What do I do?!"

Unfortunately, bringing that sort of thing to the attention of Groundspeak can unleash a "banned terror" on every geocache within the vicinity when Mr. jerk cacher gets pissed and takes his revenge on all of us.

If it were me I'd just let it go, and add that person to my ignore list. It's not worth making something out of - after all, if if you step back and think about it, it's just Tupperware hidden out in the woods.

Edited by aniyn

A local cache owner has placed several logs on his own cache pages that ridicule and/or insult a finder of those caches and has attempted to bringing into question all that cacher's finds.

Subsequent to this, the cache owner deleted the cache finder's claims on his caches.

What is the reast of the story, please. I think that it is extremely obvious that we're not hearing both sides.

On the other hand, your key question, reason for posting was:

Do the Guidelines address the foregoing in any manner, i.e. foul, abusive, insulting and degrading comments within logbook & cache page entries?

and for that, I think the answer would be "yes". I'm familiar with the forum guidelines and while I can't point to a specific geocaching guideline, since the same folks wrote the forum guidelines I think its a pretty good guess what their opinion would be. I'd email them, I guess.

Edited by knowschad