Garmin Etrex

hairdresser28

You have the old, basic eTrex. It certainly can be used for finding the cache. You do need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for the navigation needle to stabilize because it doesn't have a magnetic compass. When you slow down or stop it will give fluky readings.

Reception isn't the best under trees, but it will work as long as you constantly hold it flat with the face up to the sky.

It still is a very popular unit among geocachers and there are people with thousands of finds who use nothing else. One you get used to it, it will lead you to the cache.

Just remember that the cache won't necessarily be right where your GPS says it is. Your unit has a built in inaccuracy of about 10-30 feet and so did the unit of the hider, so the cache could be 40, 50 or more feet from where your GPS is telling you it is.

It's Yellow and says etrex, tried it out last night but wasn't able to find the cache. The GPS was just all over the place so i wasn't sure if it was working. I was under heavy trees so i think that was the problem.

THANKS

That's why a hand held compass is handy with this type of unit.

If you are looking for something that is North of you, and the object is to your right, East, , travel to the NE direction until one of the lines coincide (Lat or Long) and then travel in the other direction until they coincide.

Practice makes perfect,

Icesailor

(CMG)