Venture HC Connectivity Problem

I have a Garmin Etrex Venture HC and have had no trouble up until today.

When I plug it into my computer's USB port via the USB cable, the GPS unit shows the "plugged in" icon and can run without batteries. But when I try to transfer data between the unit and Mapsource, the unit is not recognized as being plugged into the computer. I went to the interface settings in the GPS's setup menu, and it says "Not Connected." Occasionally, it will say "connected," and instead of saying there is no GPS found, Mapsource will say "A GPS unit was found, but does not have the proper capabilities" or something to that effect. It suggests "Setting the unit's interface to 'Garmin' or 'Host.'" From what I can tell, and from reading the "interface" section in the Etrex manual, there is only one interface option for this unit: "Garmin."

My brother has an identical unit, and his is recognized normally. I have tried two different computers, two different cables, different USB ports, a hard reset (holding the four buttons) of the unit, batteries in and batteries out.

I tried to update the firmware of the unit with Garmin's Updater.exe, but that gave the same message about interface settings.

I am thoroughly confused, and beginning to get frustrated. The GPS is not nearly as useful if it cannot communicate with a computer! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went to the interface settings in the GPS's setup menu, and it says "Not Connected." Occasionally, it will say "connected," and instead of saying there is no GPS found, Mapsource will say "A GPS unit was found, but does not have the proper capabilities" or something to that effect. It suggests "Setting the unit's interface to 'Garmin' or 'Host.'"

I suspect that you need to be talking with the folks from Garmin.

I have a VistaHCx - which has a data card in it. With that unit, the interface options are either the unit or the card. I get the error message that you describe if I have the unit set to the card and then try to communicate with the unit from MapSource.

To be honest, I don't understand why the "interface" icon even appears in your setup menu because you only have one option, i.e. Garmin. I also have a LegendC, which is essentially the same unit as the VentureHC - but with the older receiver. I don't seen an "interface" icon anywhere in the menus on that unit.

I sometimes have trouble getting my computer to ecognize my Venture HC also. Try connecting while the computer is still on the desktop page. If that doesn't work try rebooting with the Venture plugged in.

Edited by donc30