Geko 201

processedlemon

Hi All

My son has done quite well at school this term and is also enjoying Geocaching. I have managed to arrange a Geko 201 @ around R400 and am toying with the idea of getting it for him (He is only 10 so I don't want to break the bank)

My problem at the moment is that the PC Interface cable is also around R400 for a few wires and a com port which just does not gel with me :D

I have managed to find DIY plans and can construct a com cable by myself but while looking at it I though a USB cable also has a ground, data in and data out wires. Why not just rig it up without the 5V power and see if it works. Has anyone else tried it? I have even found drivers for it from a third party manufacturer in china.

Gil

I recall someone making up one for an Etrx by using a usp cable and an old SIM card. He mentioned that there was a site he had found on the net that showed how to do it.... He did say it worked so I guess you could try that. But then if anything goes wrong.... you may as well buy the cable. But look at places like ebay for bargains. You might pick up a better GPS with cables included for a little more than R400. Worth a try.

Also look here for a cheaper alternative on plugs, cables etc.: Pfranc.com or locally Pfranc South Africa.

I can vouch for pfran and kalle - I got a nicely made up cable shipped to me for about R200. I would diregard all advice about buying a cable from garmin as they are just out to rip you off. Even R200 for a serial cable is quite rough

I am not sure about the USB option although I know it is trivial to make your own serial cable using the wire and plug from an old serial mouse and an old credit card for the plug on the other end. But it still does not get you connected to USB for that you would have to buy a USB/serial adapter fro another R200 - also fron Kalle

So for gramins R400 serial cable you could get bothe the serial cable and the USB/serial converter.

I find it quite shocking that you canby that Geko or etrec new for arround R900 to R1100 and then have to pay a third of the price of the GPSr for a cable!

Having said that having the cable is a a must especially for geocaching. and then you can download your tracklogs as well.

Your other alternative is just to find a pc that has a serial (I have an older laptop for this) and then you do not need the serial/USB adapter.

The price on that Geko 201 sounded reasonable enough to me as I remember that unit selling for R900 at cape union mart about a year ago. But on checking jump.co.za some stores are selling it new for just R480 so you might want to reconsidered that price or buy new online!

Good Luck

I bought a cable for my e-Trex from Pfranc, South Africa, and completely recommend it. You can buy just the plug and make up the cable yourself, but I opted to pay slightly more and bought the whole thing complete and considerably cheaper than the genuine cable.

I am getting the Geko brand new at around R440. Not really worth risking it and getting a second hand unit at that price. I am in contact with pfrank and have requested pricing on just the adapter for the garmin. I think I am going to try and get it working straight off the USB cable and take it from there. Hopefully the drivers I have downloaded will work. If it does work I will post the results for all to have a look at...

No need for it to look pretty, the main thing is that it works.

Have a great weekend caching :D

I am getting the Geko brand new at around R440. Not really worth risking it and getting a second hand unit at that price. I am in contact with pfrank and have requested pricing on just the adapter for the garmin. I think I am going to try and get it working straight off the USB cable and take it from there. Hopefully the drivers I have downloaded will work. If it does work I will post the results for all to have a look at...

No need for it to look pretty, the main thing is that it works.

Have a great weekend caching :D

Well if you come up with a cable, homebrewed or otherwise, that is what I think you are planning - IE just one cable USB on the one side and the funny garmin adapter(from pfranc) on the other I would be interested. I don;t know for how much longer my old laptop will function and my new one does not have a serial or else I would not be bothered at all.

So please do post back you results.

And good luck

R440 sounds like a great price new - where from or is it some special one off deal. The highest asking price on jump.co.za is over R1200 so some stores are totally out of touch or just plain ripping people off!

Trev

Hi All

Did not get to try the Cable, the boss had one lying around and not being used so I got a free Garmin cable. I did do a bit of research and I do not think it will work. I have a USB cable so I might just try and see what happens.

The price on the Garmin was new through a mate that has an Avnic account. He still made margin off it. I picked up a summit HC for 2090. If anyone would like a price on a unit let me know and I can cheack stock.