How many caches per state or country

modernman

I was using the search by state feature and was wondering their is an easy way to display number of caches by state (for the US) or by country. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to know this (including myself) but I started wondering about popularity per capita or number of caches placed compared to number of active cachers. Yes it's sad but this is what I think about in my free time.

I realize this is a strange request but just in case this info is available could someone let me know. If it's not available would anyone at geocaching.com be interested in sharing this info with the community, or letting me build it?

They would not release the number of active cachers due to privacy concerns. I know a few people have graphed total population figures against number of caches at a given time in the past. I don't remember the last time that was done or where in the forums it would be though.

I was using the search by state feature and was wondering their is an easy way to display number of caches by state (for the US) or by country. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to know this (including myself) but I started wondering about popularity per capita or number of caches placed compared to number of active cachers. Yes it's sad but this is what I think about in my free time.

I realize this is a strange request but just in case this info is available could someone let me know. If it's not available would anyone at geocaching.com be interested in sharing this info with the community, or letting me build it?

Is this what you're looking for? It's about six months out of date (I will update it "Real Soon Now") but it seems to have most of what you want, apart from, as mtn-man suggested, the number of active cachers - whatever "active" might mean. (Actually, I'm guessing that for any given value of "active", the number of caches per cacher is probably reasonably uniform anyway.)

All of the cache figures in that table were derived by clicking on the appropriate country/state in the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page. The information is all there; it just takes a sad person like me or you to spend a few minutes (I reckon about half an hour, once you know what you're doing) to update it.